worried about my plecos

1. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone!

I am having a slight panic attack at the moment. I came home from doing some stuff I needed to do, and checked on the new L239 plecos. I saw that they looked like they had a gold sheen to them and jumped online trying to find out if this is part of their coloration or if they have velvet. An hour later I checked on them and 1 had died! Please help! I see no other symptoms, no flashing, maybe a bit lathargic, but it is hard to tell, since they are new plecos. I did a waterchange this morning, temp was matched, I have not delt with this before and these fish where expensive and hard to find I don't want to lose anymore!

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I am sorry Lexi. If it is Velvet, you will need to treat with an antiparasitic product. Something like QuickCure.

Otherwise post a picture and hopefully another member can ID the disease and help you save your remaining pleco.

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

After studying my clown pleco in another tank, I am fairly certain the gold sheen is part of their coloration. But this still leaves me stumped on what happened to the pleco. His fins where all raised even after he passed, breathing seemed normal, no spots, no fuzz, no sunken belly. I have turned out the lights to try to keep the remaining 2 L239's unstressed, they seem ok right now. I hope it was just a new fish realed loss and the other 2 will be ok.

4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

How long have you had these plecos Lexi? Could it be they are not tolerating your high ammonia levels in your tap? That's the only thing I can think of with no outward symptoms.

5. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

We got them on Thursday. We stole tons of media from the 75gal to cycle the qt...but I did do a waterchange thismorning to vacum the algea wafers off the bottom... hmm thought it would be ok with a triple dose of prime... going to add more media now from another tank...

I wonder if I would be better off just to move them to one of the established tanks...

6. mtsguy21 Well Known Member Member

:':)'(

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

That's a decision only you can make. Tough decision as you could be transferring disease to one of your established tanks.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do!!

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Sorry to hear about your Pleco Lexi. I think I would leave the remaining ones in Quarantine for a while longer to be on the safe side.

Best wishes for your remaining ones!

Ken

9. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Ok, so here is what we decided to do. We moved as many fish out of the 55gal as we could, unfortunatlly the blood parrots had to stay, I like them but I would like them a lot less if they hurt my angelfish,and moved the plecos to the 55gal. So far so good both plecos have colored up more since the move, and one has been out and about the tank all day.

10. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

One of the advantages of having MTS!!! Hopefully they will continue to color up and start thriving in your tank.

11. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Lol, yes it. is. I hope they do better in there, we have not had any issuses with a QT tank before, so long as I took enough media from the other tanks and Primed the tank daily until the tap ammonia cycled out.(which I did, so I'mguessing it was the waterchange) I moved a few netfuls of guppy fry ( so many guppies!) To the 20gal QT to hold the cycle for now, that way if we need a tank for a more sensitive fish again, I will just need to catch the guppies.

12. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Just a update, Both Pleco are still well today, this afternoon they were both roaming th tank before I turned the lights on. Fingers crossed!

13. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

glad to hear the two are doing well. i hate losing expensive, or special fish.

14. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Thanks, this one was hard because chris waited so long to get them, they were expensive and that was the biggest fish we have ever lost.

15. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

biggest size wise...or price wise? and the longer you have them...the more you'll get attached =]

16. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Both, they are the most expensive fish we have ever bought, and while we have a few fish simaler in size, we haven't lost any fish that large before, I don't know somehow makes it sadder then losing a tetra..