Worried about my new kuhlies, please help!

1. Jowenbra Member Member

I know I've been posting here a lot but you guys have been so helpful. I guess asking questions and seeking advice never hurts!
    So I just introduced my first fish to my 40 gallon, it's cycle is finished and all water params are good, ammonia is up to .25 today but I assume that because of the new fish. Here's the params: http://imgur.com/IFUUZl8

The fish I added are 4 baby kuhlies, barely over an inch long, (planning on 10 eventually) and 2 pearl gourami. The pearls have been hiding when I'm around, but come out when they can't see me. They seem healthy and are swimming normally. It's the kuhlies I am slightly concerned about. 1 of them is extremely active and constantly swimming along the glass, up to the surface and back down. The other 3 I haven't seen since last night. I'm assuming they're hiding, because they're nocturnal and they just went through a lot of scary stuff for a fish. It's the one swimming around I'm the most worried about. Also all their gills are very bright pink/reddish, I looked it up and a lot of people said it was normal but I thought I'd mention it. The top is totally secure, nowhere that they can jump out.
    Idk maybe I'm worrying about nothing but this is my first tank other than a little 10 gallon with some guppies and endlers, and I would hate to accidentally harm or god forbid kill any of the little guys :( I killed enough fish when I didn't know about them while setting up the 10 gallon. I was the noob that didn't know about cycling. I've done dozens of hours of research since then though, but very little hands on experience.

2. ppuccio97 Initiate Member

Sounds like a nice tank setup! I think the loach that is swimming around is fine. Fish are like people sort of speak and each fish has their personality. The one loach might just be active unlike his friends. Has he been aggressive towards the other loachs or fish? Has he been eating? Also your pearl gouramis are hiding from you is because they are still getting used to you and their new home. Once they get the idea that you feed them and take care of them they will not hide when you are around.

3. Koniucha Member Member

I have three kuhlis, two adults and a baby for now. They are quite active during the day, but the baby isn't so much.

4. Jowenbra Member Member

I know I'm not worried about the pearls, and no I haven't seen any interactions between the kuhli and any other tankmates. I left some pellets on the ground for them after I turned the lights off and they gone now, but I think the pearlsmight have got them, one dashed up and grabbed one as it sank, so idk.

5. Koniucha Member Member

Well, they are nocturnal. I wouldn't worry too much

6. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Jowenbra
    Not trying to scare you but when I got my kuhlis, one was extremely active. I found it the next day curled up on a rock dead. Could be shock? Or maybe yours just has a character
    ~Mudkipz

7. Jowenbra Member Member

Well I guess all I can do is hope for the best...

8. Koniucha Member Member

Mine are quite active and have been since I got them. They like to just go up and down, back and forth for a while. Then just stop.

9. cheese Member Member

any update on the little guys?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. Jowenbra Member Member

Everybody seems alright, I found 2 in my filter but am working on securing it. The active guy has gone into hiding for the most part, although he was out and about for a few hours the other day after I accidentally disturbed his hiding spot.