Worried about my fish tank stand not able to carry 32 gallons fish tank

foxrain4

No, I have not bought the expensive fish tank yet.
I did bought the fish tank stand made in china, however it was not stable when I shake the stand with a 5 gallon fish tank on top of it.

I bought the fish tank stand because it was cheap and it can be customized to the correct dimensions, however I did not expect it to feel a bit fragile, just
me bouncing the stand and 5 gallon tank on it and the stand will shake, how can I be confident it can hold the 32 gallon tank?

The 32 gallon low iron tank is the best deal, it have mat, glass cover, and many good reviews, the problem is I do not know what stand I should buy or
can my this stand withstand the weight?

In the past, I had steel metal fish tank stand, and it is stable and seems almighty, but I had issues with it, because it did not have the shelf for the fish tank to
put on top of it, instead it have big wide hole gap which I am supposed to get a styrofoam which looks ugly and it keeps dropping bits the longer you keep to use
the styrofoam shelf. And the steel metal fish tank stand also seems to rust a little bit but I guess that does not matters now, since the modern fish tank stand seems
so weak.

In short, give me some tips on a more stable fish tank stand I should buy.

Edit:
The cheap fish tank stand I bought is mainly supported by 4 thickened galvanized steel pipe which looks bad quality and rusty. I do not know what thickened galvanized steel pipe are but google make it sounds it is strong as it is used in cars.
Having a wobbling strong tank is still scary, if the weight of 32 gallon shifted to right and couldn't bounced back in time, then the tank will literally fell of the cheap stand.

I am now looking at full set of fish tank + fish tank cabinet stand, this will hopefully guarantee it won't drop, but the price is literally doubled, also there are very few full set combinations that contains the low iron fish tank.

bcsay720

What I will say to this is that a filled 32 gallon tank is going to weigh over 300 lbs. While this sounds like a lot, it'll actually make it harder to tip over (yay). The 5g probably wobbles so much because of how light it is. All of my stands except one have been a bit wobbly (not dangerously so), so before putting the tank on I stick something under the wobbly leg to stabilize it. Also, putting the tank on and filling it over the course of a few days (aka, a good old fashioned leak test) will give you a better idea of the stand's stability. You could anchor the stand to the wall, too, which is helpful.

But, at the end of the day, I never fully trusted one of my stands and was thankful when I had to buy an entire new set up before disaster struck in my previous set up. This could be that I live on the third floor of an apartment building, so my floor is slightly tilted inward... But peace of mind is worth way more than how much money was lost from your wallet when buying trustworthy equipment. Fish are already so fragile, and my new motto with them is, "anything for you." Unlike a mammal, they literally can't sustain themselves on their own for very long in a tank, so they deserve the best. It's a persona choice whether or not to use the stand, but I say use what you feel most comfortable with.

foxrain4

It's a persona choice whether or not to use the stand, but I say use what you feel most comfortable with.
If I let go of the new cabinet stand I saved 470 american dollars.
Just low iron 32 gallons fish tank on the floor 126 american dollars.
Low iron 25 gallons fish tank + strong branded cabinet 596 american dollars.

The stand helps to let me see the fish tank while sitting on a chair, while far away. Elevated fish tank makes water change easier.

No stand on floor is viewable mostly while sitting, but as a student taking pocket money from parents, maybe this is very good enough for me already? Also I cannot believe there is actually a 7 gallons difference, the width and height was only a difference of 5cm each, which google calculated 7 gallons lost!

RayClem

If you would not feel comfortable with two 165 pound people standing on the stand, it is not strong enough to hold your tank. A stand should not wobble if you bump against the tank. If it wobbles, that means the joints are loose. Over time, the joints will fail.

If you know how to use a saw, drill, and screwdriver, you can make your own stand from lumber. I have a 125 gallon tank that weighed over 1300 lbs when full. I made my own stand from 2 x 4 lumber. It served me well. For a 32 gallon tank, you could probably use 2 x 3 lumber.

A commercial wrought iron stand is always a good bet.

The other thing you can get is a cabinet made of furniture grade particleboard.

jtjgg

concrete blocks and some lumber, and paint

my diy concrete and 2x4 lumber stand, spray painted black

full.jpg

foxrain4

If you would not feel comfortable with two 165 pound people standing on the stand, it is not strong enough to hold your tank. A stand should not wobble if you bump against the tank. If it wobbles, that means the joints are loose. Over time, the joints will fail.
I am scared of standing on the stand so is my mum, so not mentioning two person, even one person we are too scared to stand on the stand.
If you know how to use a saw, drill, and screwdriver, you can make your own stand from lumber. I have a 125 gallon tank that weighed over 1300 lbs when full. I made my own stand from 2 x 4 lumber. It served me well. For a 32 gallon tank, you could probably use 2 x 3 lumber.
A few google searches shows 223 american dollars, including the drill, bits and accessories without the fish tank, this is not cheap and I have no experience of doing it so I have the risk of failing too.
A commercial wrought iron stand is always a good bet.
I have confidence standing on this, but two people standing on this, I would not dare. I could obviously half my fish tank size but I am currently not interested in doing so, as I have frequent on google and fish forums for very long, I always see people regretting not getting the biggest size fish tank they can get, so I should get my biggest tank which is 32 gallon for once and for all.

Previously, my mum had me thrown out the iron stand because it looks bad, so this is a real problem for me too, all the iron stand in Singapore country looks the same.

It looks so good I thought it is store bought.
concrete blocks and some lumber, and paint
I actually have confidence both my mum and me standing on the concrete blocks and not break the concrete. Getting good quality and new concrete blocks and long lumbers is going to be tricky, I live in Singapore which is small country surrounded by sea therefore my searches are showing mostly second handed building materials which looks ugly and deformed, for new materials like concrete blocks I have to buy 100 pieces, and the lumbers seems so much thinner than your lumber.

My current cheap but modern looking fish tank stand with attached shelf which bounces if you push it.

Attachments

• 16314283986291753632897.jpg
    16314283986291753632897.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 24

RayClem

Looking at the picture of your stand, I am not surprised that it is unstable. It is not really designed to hold the weight of a fish tank.

It is too bad your mom tossed the wrought iron stand. Iron stands do rust, but they can be painted with a rust resistant primer/paint. I have one wrought iron stand on a 29 gallon tank that I have used for nearly 50 years. I just paint it every few years. You can use either a paint designed to be applied by brush or a spray paint. If the metal is flat, I normally use a brush. If the metal is rounded, I use spray.

Since the old stand is now gone, I suggest your try the concrete blocks. You want to make sure the frame of the tank is fully supported all the way around the edges. That means it will need some type of wood frame or plywood between the blocks and the tank. The surface under the tank needs to be level to avoid placing stresses on the tank frame.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
JayH
Replies
Views
MomeWrath
Replies
Views