worried about my cat

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I got a puppy on sunday and it has totally terrified my cat. When he first came home he jumped at the cat and the cat swiped him.

Every since, whenever he sees the cat he goes after him barking fiercely. The cat makes a mad dash for the steps and stays upstairs. He won't even come down to eat.

I have not left them alone in the house as the puppy chases the cat and corners it. I am scared the cat might hurt the puppy.

The puppy is 8 weeks and the cat is about 5-6 yrs old and 3 times the size of the puppy.

How long will this transition last? When should I start to worry.............

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hey Reds, don't worry. I am going through the same situation, only with a full grown german shepherd and TWO adult cats.

I found a site with a GREAT method of introducing dogs to cat households:

We are currently at step #4, and progressing OK. It's more that our dog doesn't have much obedience at the moment, and she's full grown, thus a lot more intimidating.

Hope this gives you some good tips!

I have also set up a "dog free" room for the cats, where they like to sleep. I moved their food, water and a litter tray in there for them, and that's their haven for when the dog is inside.

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The puppy is a shih poo and weighs about 4 lbs, really tiny. the cat is much bigger and usually a little aggressive. After the initial swiping from the cat the puppy discovered its voice/bark and really uses it.

My concern is of the cat harming the puppy once it is corned with no way out.

I bookmarked that article, thanks much.

Good Luck with your crew as well............

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
NP. The other useful article was this one:

It suggests to keep the cat's claws clipped short, to minimise any damage caused by aggressive swipes. If you follow the original article, you should be able to avoid confrontations. At the moment, the cat is just protecting himself from a noisy, annoying, barking, nipping (if given a chance) dog. Instincts!

Good luck!

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That one was great. Thanks again.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads