Worried About My Betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by RiverQueenMab, Apr 10, 2018.

1. RiverQueenMab

RiverQueenMabNew MemberMember

ive just started a freshwater community tankfor my Betta with neon tetras, and albino corys. Those fish have been doing fine the last couple of days.
    Today, I decided to introduce my betta, and did so correctly- but floating him for a while, and letting everybody calm down, and then watching him even after he was let out. Everything went fine.
    He's been in there a few hours now, and I'm noticing he's spending a lot of time at the bottom. He does swim up and down, but has sort of been prowling around the bottom edges and sitting with the Cory some as well. Is this normal? Is he just getting adjusted to the new tank? Or should I be worried?
    I'll leave photos of him here too, in case there's anything visually that seems wrong...

Attached Files:

2. Bry

BryWell Known MemberMember

How big is the tank and how long has it been set up?

3. OP
    OP
    RiverQueenMab

The tank has been set up (with the other fish inside) for about three days. It's a 10 gallon.

4. Bry

I would care to guess that the nitrogen cycle hasn't completed. So you Betta is in a kinda harsh environment until the water finishes cycling. That would be an educated guess. Have you tested the water to see if maybe the water isn't the best?

5. OP
    OP
    RiverQueenMab

I haven't, but I will get right on that. ThAnk you.
    (I've decided to put him back in his previous tank for now, just to make sure he'll be okay.)

6. Bry

Since it's only been three days, I would care to bet it's the cycle. I would recommend buying some starter bacteria. The only brand I know off the top of my head is Tetra Safe Start. It adds bacteria into your filter to eat the fish waste. Right now your filter is pretty much just putting the waste back into the tank as the bacteria is starting.
    Also do a 25% water change to remove some of that waste and replace is with water de-clorinated water. That will help your fish get through it.
    :) I went through all this with my first tank. I had no idea what I was doing until I asked for help. A few fishies dies in the process because I didn't ask until after some had passed.

7. OP
    OP
    RiverQueenMab

Okay, that make sense. Thank you, I will do that! I really appreciate the help.

8. Bry

Of course! That's what this forum is for! I'm sure someone here could go through the whole science behind it but I would rather just simplify it. I don't think I know all that much but I'm always happy to help in any way I can. (Also I have four tanks and have made a fair amount of mistakes of my own lol)

9. Briggs

BriggsWell Known MemberMember

Sliiightly off topic, but I think that betta might be a lady? It could just be a plakat (short fins), but the body shape and length of the ventral fin in the first picture look female to me. You can see for sure by looking for an egg spot between the ventral and anal fins. Google 'Betta fish egg spot' if you want to see what to look for. It doesn't change anything about what the betta needs, I just thought you might want to know!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice