Worried About My Beta, Tetras And Mystery Snail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki73

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 5.5 gallon tank for my beta and have had him for almost a year. About 2 weeks ago, I bought 5 tetras and 2 mystery snails. I noticed my beta was acting strange and appears to be sick with ich. Two of the tetras died and one of my snails. I do not have a heater but have maintained a good water temperature thus far. My concern is that I am worried that the Marineland Ick Remedy I purchased may harm my snail. Is it safe for my snail to remain in the tank while I am treating my beta and 3 tetras?

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Its possible he picked up the ich from the tetras you added... Its also worth it to note that your stocking issues may have also caused the ich....Ich is ever present in tanks and stressed fish are more likely to succumb to it. Most bettas are solitary so adding tank mates may have upset him to the point of being unwell. The tetras most likely are incompatible with your tank size and also need a proper school and the resulting stress may have also caused the ich to present itself.

Inverts are more sensitive to certain medication so I would remove the snail if you have any doubts.

If it were me, I'd rehome the tetras or get a larger tank to give the betta more space and allow you to have a proper school of tetras if you intend on keeping them. I don't mean to be blunt but 5.5 gallons is too small for a betta and a school of tetras.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't believe it will harm the snails, but it will kill your beneficial bacteria and ruin your cycle. If you are unfamiliar with the Nitrogen cycle then please do some reading up on it. If you tank is still pretty new this could be what triggered the ich out break after adding new fish, leading to the death of the snail and 2 tetras.

I highly reccomend getting an adjustable heater, this way you can treat the ick safely, with out harming the cycle. When you get the temp up to 86-88 degrees F the ich stops reproducing and and dies off after a week or two.

As a side note: 5.5 gallons is far too small to keep any tetra species in, and bettas don't do well in smaller community tanks. By adding the tetras (they are probably the ones that brought the ich) you are stressing the betta out unnecessarily. I would either move the tetras to a larger tank or take them back, as your boy won't appreciate them being there.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 5.5 gallon tank for my beta and have had him for almost a year. About 2 weeks ago, I bought 5 tetras and 2 mystery snails. I noticed my beta was acting strange and appears to be sick with ich. Two of the tetras died and one of my snails. I do not have a heater but have maintained a good water temperature thus far. My concern is that I am worried that the Marineland Ick Remedy I purchased may harm my snail. Is it safe for my snail to remain in the tank while I am treating my beta and 3 tetras?
A few things you should change soon:
-stocking issues (tank too small, tetras need a bigger school)
-betta would prefer ~80F (what temp is it rn?)
-most tetras prefer ~75F (what type of tetra do you have?)
-quarantine (always quarantine new fish in case they are carrying disease or parasites)

All these things can stress your fish and lead to poor immune system and health problems

With your current ich problem, if you can't raise the temperature then I'd treat with salt. Use medicine as a last resort. Also make sure your water quality is perfect, and preform water changes more often than usual.

Nikki73

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you for the replies. I was worried about adding tank mates and now my worry has come true. I even asked the pet store employee about my tank size and that I wanted to add some mates and they told me that my beta would be fine. Well now I am down to 3 tetras and the pet store will not take them back so I will take the advice and go and buy an adjustable heater possibly a larger tank. I love my beta and am so sad he is sick...not sure if I trust any advice from the staff at petsmart

Nikki73

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A few things you should change soon:
-stocking issues (tank too small, tetras need a bigger school)
-betta would prefer ~80F (what temp is it rn?)
-most tetras prefer ~75F (what type of tetra do you have?)
-quarantine (always quarantine new fish in case they are carrying disease or parasites)

All these things can stress your fish and lead to poor immune system and health problems

With your current ich problem, if you can't raise the temperature then I'd treat with salt. Use medicine as a last resort. Also make sure your water quality is perfect, and preform water changes more often than usual.
I believe it is a neon tetra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 45 65.2%

Top Bottom