Worried about my 6 panda cories in QT

jiorio1216

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I purchased 6 pandas from AquaHuna and they all have good color/no visual signs of ich. They’ve been in quarantine 3 days and they just seem depressed. My QT is not a great environment for them as it has no sand, and it is just a 10 gallon tote. They have no visual signs of infection and I gave them a dose of general cure the first day. They just aren’t doing much of anything but they look healthy. They’re not eating because I feel like they’re depressed. Is it safe to speed up theyre QT to see them liven up in my main tank, or not worth the risk?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To be honest you're giving the cause for their "depression" yourself. They've been put in a complete unknown environment without substrate etc.... Then they are treated with a med for unknown reasons (please don't).
I would feel depressed as well.

Speed up a QT isn't a good idea cause it has it's reasons but providing with some comfort is a good idea I'd say.

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
To be honest you're giving the cause for their "depression" yourself. They've been put in a complete unknown environment without substrate etc.... Then they are treated with a med for unknown reasons (please don't).
I would feel depressed as well.

Speed up a QT isn't a good idea cause it has it's reasons but providing with some comfort is a good idea I'd say.
It has substrate, smooth gravel, but not sand like they should be in. And this forum is pretty funny, you get lambasted for not having a QT, then even if you have one, people still put you down because it isn’t the Four Seasons for Fish. They have gravel and a piece of driftwood and a hiding place. Sorry it isn’t extravagant escape for the fish. Second, Cory from Aquarium Co Op, arguably the most famous person in this hobby, doses ALL OF HIS FISH with THREE meds for caution, with the main one being General Cure. I got these fish from a whole saler, not a LFS so they didn’t go through a quarantine process with meds. But thanks for your input.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ap
jiorio1216 said:
It has substrate, smooth gravel, but not sand like they should be in. And this forum is pretty funny, you get lambasted for not having a QT, then even if you have one, people still put you down because it isn’t the Four Seasons for Fish. They have gravel and a piece of driftwood and a hiding place. Sorry it isn’t extravagant escape for the fish. Second, Cory from Aquarium Co Op, arguably the most famous person in this hobby, doses ALL OF HIS FISH with THREE meds for caution, with the main one being General Cure. I got these fish from a whole saler, not a LFS so they didn’t go through a quarantine process with meds. But thanks for your input.
Apologies my friend. I misunderstood and thought it was a bare bottom. A QT tank of course isn't the same as the main tank, but QT-ing of course has a reason (in fact to let lingering dicease incubate) so speeding up isn't a good idea to me.
Being new they will need some time to adapt to their new surroundings.
For the meds : Most meds are not "designed" to be used as a precaution and a lot of them will destroy good bacteria / microlife as well. That's why I am not a fan of the use of meds without a reason / as precaution. I also hate the word "general" or broadband med hahaha.

Again : apologies rereading.my first post.
Wasn't meand to be offensive, but understand if you took it that way.

New Threads