worried about clowns - Page 3

OP
D

david

Reaction score
hI evybody ;D ;D the cycle has begun ;D ;D well I have gone and got all natural plants no plastic ones at all,dont think I got enough though..ill probably get more when I'm ready to add my fish.I got a few extras with them (SNAILS) ;D ..I put a few of them in my little tank to see if my clowns would eat them..they didnt go for them straight away,but I can't see the snails anymore so I think they must have eaten them at some point. there are some in the cycling tank too..also got some nice driftwood I didnt go to the loch though I bought the wood from the pet shop,(already treated and cleaned ready for my tank)I couldnt wait,and it sounded like too much work getting it from a loch..filling the tank was pretty stressful started with buckets but that would have taken days to fill,so I got the hose in there..it hasnt fallen threw the floor so its all good.the water was nice and clean when I first put it in since then it has started to go very cloudy don't know if you can see that in the pics though..ive got 2 fluval 4 fillters and 2 200 watt heaters I'm thinking that should be a very effective filtration system for that size tank,guy in the shop was trying to talk me into getting an external fillter,I was having none of it.. so here are some more pics of my progress,keep in mind I'm not finished decorating it yet..how often should I feed the tank by the way?? ive put a little bit of flake in each day will that be enough...I get my master test kit on wednesday,hopfully I will get good results in the test..I think its going well anyway, its ment to get cloudy when you cycle a tank isn't it??? ?

Craig

Well Known
Reaction score
lovely tank! lol iv always wondered how u keep big taanks so clean!? lol is it cause it has an external filter ??

C W

ahhh spotted the fluvals in there lol yeah it looks gd !

C W

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You may have a little cloudiness for a few days, this is a bacteria bloom. It's a good thing and won't hurt a thing. I think you put food in everyday just like you were feeding your fish.
Carol
Lovely tank by the way!!

OP
D

david

Reaction score
hI again..just afew more questions about cycling a tank. is it ok to put activated carbon in the fillters..???ive never used it before..what does it do?? it came with the fillters??my girlfreind has a 3 year old silver shark(bala) that has eaten the rest of the fish she used to have,she has been waiting for it to die for a long long time so that she can get new fish without them being eaten by him..this fish has survived a lot of stressful situations..she wants to put it in my tank while it cycles :-\ is there a half chance that it will survive?? if any fish can do it this one can..its huge and I'm sure it has seen the cycle many times in its liftime..I'm trying to educate her a bit about keeping fish,I'm still learning myself but I know that total water changes are not good she must be doing something right if she kept him all that time..or its just a really tuff fish ;D I will only allow this to happen if it speeds up the cycle by having him in there :-\ .I'm sure he will love the extra space compared to the tank he is in..does it speed up the cycle????do u have a pic of your rino pleco butterfly?? how big do they get? and do they get along well with your clowns??boff your sailfin is a nice looking pleco but I don't think I want a fish that grows to that size..I don't want to over stock this tank too.my wallet will never recover lol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
David you just don't know what your doing asking for pics of one of my babies My Rhino will get about eight inches from snout to caudal peduncle(don't count fins when measuring fish)
You can do a search on Rhino Plec or Chocolate Plec( when he's really intent on eating he changes from charcoal color to a rich chocolate color) and get more examples of their looks. www.planet catfish is a good place to look.
The Rhino is in with my clowns and they sleep together quite a lot.If the clowns annoy him too much he swings his head and bats them away and they swim away. I swear I can hear them giggling. They ahve been together about three years.

On the first pic you can see why their common name is Rhino Plec, their nasal tuberacles stick up like horns. His scientific name is Pterygoplichthys scorphus but I think that's going to change soon. Hopefull it will help you do a search I also have an albino rhino if you would like to see it.
Carol

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, yep I will have to rehouse my sailfin some when (gutted) but he will be far to big for my tank .Your tank looks good like you say need more plants have you thought of silk plants instead of plastic I have some silk ones and there quite good I thought they were like plastic but they move and look almost like live plants just a thought .Butterfly's Rhino plec looks nice maybe I will get on when I take mine back or can any one suggest a plec about 6 inches long cheers boff.

OP
D

david

Reaction score
hI everyone first of all nice pleco carol.. I think I'm going to try and find one of them..love the coulorations on him..its like camoflage...do u think plecos will get along with tigerbarbs ??? ??.. they are fin nipers but mine are ok with all the fish I already have...they seem to fight and play within there own school..ive herd they go after slow moving fish with big fins..can a pleco defend itself against 6 healthy agile tigerbarbs :-\ ive found that as long as a fish defends itself then the tigerbarbs will leave them alone.that's my experience anyway,there garanteed to test any new fish that go in the tank.. is there any easy way to make sure they are rhino plecs when they are young??(lot of dodgy salesmen out there).you could post the pic of your albino if you want but that's a cool rhino u have and I think ive made my mind up..I WANT ONE I think I will put some silk plants in my tank boff that's a good idea..my girlfriends shark had a swim in my tank on tuesday ;D it was cool to see a fish in there,swimmin around...until it started riping all my plants out and chewing them up > it was a short stay for that nasty little fishie.. so I think silk might be worth a go..sorry to here you have to get rid of your sailfin boff..I would be gutted to. no more pics yet..and I haven't got my test kit yet hopfully I will get it tomorow so I can see how my cycle is going...thanx again

P.S how did you get the flags in the profile ??? ?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
click on member map(to get flags) in the header then its kind of self explanatory.
Thanks David!! I really think he would hold his own with just about anything. He's rather well armored. The only way I know to get a Rino plec is to ask for him by his scientific name(Pterygoplichthys scorphus). I really love my Rhino, when he was small I fed him veggie wafers by hand then he got big enough it felt weird for him to rasp on my fingers so I quit Maybe a lfs would order one for you. Or maybe find one on aquabid.

Carol

OP
D

david

Reaction score
;D hI everyone ;D well after just a week and a bit my 125 gallon has cycled.. ;D
the water readings are:
PH - 7.2
ammonia - 0 ppm
nitrite - 0ppm
nitrate - 5.0 ppm
temp - 26 D c

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D my fishies luv all that room ;D ;D ;D ;D I put all fish in at the same time,I half filled a bucket with the tank water they were in.you now your fish are healthy when you can't catch them it took me ages after they were all in the bucket I started adding cups of water from the new tank slowly over about an hour until the bucket was almost full.waited about another ten minutes,then just poured them into the big tank.. ;D I think my fish are the happiest fish in the world.. ;D all 16 fish stayed together for the first few minutes exploring there new home as 1 big group..then slowly broke off into there own smaller groups,I think sharky was the most excited..in my old tank the clowns would dart from one end of the tank to the other before you could blink,now they seem like they are having races from one end to the other and it takes them a good few seconds to reach the other side..hard to explain how happy I am too ;D ;D ive got a constant grin on my face ;D ;D I will try to get some better pics later on after I come home from work,but it is hard when they won't stay still..there loving life at the momment zipping around all over the place,I think the clowns are trying to teach sharky the clown dance but hes not as good at it as they are yet I think I will wait a while before I get a rhino pleco,just making sure everything is ok with the tank first..so far so good..stress zyme definitely speeds up the cycle plus all the gravel I had put in there from the old tank,I thought it was going to take at least three weeks..still need to put an air stone in the tank too I will do that today that's coming out of the old tank,plus I got a longer stone as well..more pics of the happiest fish in the world later on ...thanx for all the advice everyone ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

smillermom

Reaction score
Has you tank been up for a while? I was just wondering as with a new tank, you will need to cycle or transfer your other tank contents before adding the fish. Clown loaches are very sensitive to poor water conditions and will pick up ich mighty fast. Move everything at the same time. Put your substrate from the old tank in your new tank, adding more for the size of your tank. Move your decor over and siphon the water from the old tank to the new. Add more water and treat if needed. Place your old filter media in the filter and you should be okay! I have done this twice without fish loss. You don't want to lose your good bacteria. I have also added new gravel to a new tank and placed the gravel from the other tank in panty hose and left in the new tank. You need something to feed the bacteria so either add your existing fish right away also!

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI David the tank looks good now your fish are in there,found this good site with lots of interesting fish like this Rhino fish, but can't find any thing about it yet, just a thought you might want to take a look,to give you some ideas for when you stock your huge tank .It also tells about a cheap and easy way of giving your plants co2 by using a plastic bottle ,yeast,sugar,water and some tube cheers boff.

Forgot to say that site has 100 videos of fish which I think makes it better than just looking at pictures .Check out the Baby whale fish boff.

OP
D

david

Reaction score
hI everybody..thanx for your kind comments on the tank..well,I'm an idiot..  :-[ my ammonia and nitrite readings have taken a sudden jump.  > I didnt get my test kit until about a week after filling the tank,so I think the nitrate readings that I got must have been from all the gravel and plants that I put in there from the old tank..

ammonia 0.50
nitrite 0.50
nitrate 5.0
PH 7.4

I have done a 25% water change the past two nights to try and keep the levels down so that its still bearable for my fish,also ive put my old fillter in the new tank as well..since then my tests show.

ammonia 0.25
nitrite 1.0
nitrate 5.0 - 8.0
PH 7.4

with the ammonia droping and the nitrites and nitrates riseing my cycle is well on its way.I think this is good thing,correct me if I'm wrong though..I'm hopeing my fishies will be ok if I keep doing 25% water changes every night..until it has cycled..putting them back into the old tank isn't an option as I have already taken everything out of there..by the way 25% of a 125 gallon is a **** of a lot of water..   I take 10 10litre buckets out and put 10 10 litre buckets in treating each bucket with stress coat before it goes in..my fish don't looksick,they are still eating and seem to be happy enough..any other advice on what I can do would be much appreciated..I have already moved everything from the old tank smillermom but my fillter media from the old fillter is still in the old fillter,that's in the new tank too..would it be better to put it in the new fillters??  ??? ..the old one is just a little rena fishstar fillter..havent taken anymore pics yet,havent had time with all the water changing I'm doing..  :  I will take some more when my crisis is over..thanx again everyone   ..

OP
D

david

Reaction score
thanx boff I will check that out later on. I'm in a bit of a rush at the momment..so ill have a look when I get home from work tonight..I'm having a bit of a crisis at the momment.yeah videos are heaps better than still pictures.. ;D gotta go...thanx again..

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
David keep on doing the water changes and keep an eye on your readings and your fish, especially the clowns as they will be the first ones to show any discomfort. Sounds like you are well on your way with the cycle. Good for you for useing the old gravel and stuff, that always speeds up the cycle. Do I understand both filters are on the new tank? If so put just a bit of the old filter media in the new filter to seed the new filter media faster. Keep up the water tests. Hope that helps
Carol

OP
D

david

Reaction score
hI again everyone well ive kept up the water changes and my fish arnt looking like the cycle is having any ill effects on them.. I also cut the top of the sponge in my old fillter and put a bit in each of the new fillters..I think I'm getting some weird readings on my tests though.. :-\

ammonia 0.25 ppm
nitrite 0.0 ppm ???
nitrate 10.0 ppm
PH 7.2

shouldnt the ammonia show a reading of zero before the nitrites,I double and triple checked the nitrites and always came up with the same result... I put ammo lock in the tank this de-toxifies the ammonia,I'm wondering if this might have something to do with it..anyone have any ideas???? ??? ..that was a cool site boff lots of info on clown loaches too,it said that clowns like to eat bananas?? I tried some but they didnt seem interested..has anyone else tried banana with there clowns?? if so did they eat it???took some more pics of the tank,also that site you posted boff made me think that maybe videos might be a better idea.. ;D so I put some short clips in the members fish gallery..if anyones interested.. I took more than I could post because of the limit on memory..also had to delete some of my old pics to get them on there.. : o well.. hope you enjoy them..

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI David I seen another site and that said his clowns ate bananas but he only feed his firm ones because they break down quite quick and make a mess which you have to remove ,he also said he feeds them tomato but mine didn't touch it .I tryed looking at your videos but couldn't get them to play is that just me or is any body else having problems .It would be a good idea if you could post them here I tryed and it said it was the wrong file type well all the best boff.

OP
D

david

Reaction score
I think you need quiktime player to watch them : ..you can download it free of the net.. I took a longer better quality video on my phone but I can't put it on the computer :-\ ..I can't post it in the forum because there is a limit on how big the upload file can be .. : ..just type in quiktime player in your search bar and you should be able to download it free.. ;D

New Threads