worried about clowns - Page 2

OP
D

david

Reaction score
thanx for that butterfly.I do try to make the tank look as natural as I can..only 4 more days until the big one arives ;D ;D I can't wait to get it up and running..I have asked at a few pet stores and none of them have ever heard of bio-spira..on my first tank I used stress zyme to put bacteria into the filter and that seemed to work ok so I think I will just stick to that method,also I will use some of the gravel from my old tank..would it be a good idea to put the water from the old tank into the new one when I'm doing water changes on the little tank???? or is that a bad idea. ???that link for shrinking my pics didnt work by the way..but thanx anyway ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry about the link   unfortunately I typed it wrong. Its Since the water its self doesn't have very much beneficial bacteria I wouldn't save it or use it in hte new tank but the gravel is a great idea and will hepl it cycle faster.
Carol

OP
D

david

Reaction score
ok I'm just testing to see if my re-sized photos will work...this is a picture of sharky before he stoped eating,at the momment he is skin and bone very worried about him now I tried garlic.... ??? no joy the other one is just a good photo I thought,its 1 of my tigers and a few harleqiuns..I will save the rest of my photo resizes for when I get the new tank..thanx again butterfly..anyone got any other ideas on how to get my shark to eat??

sorry they were the same pics : :I will try again :-[

why o why did my little fishie die well I'm sad to say that my shark didnt get to see the new tank.he has gone to the gigantic fish tank in the sky.got home from work last night and he was nowere to be seen.normaly I wouldnt think much of it but somhow I just knew that there was something wrong,so I lifted the top off the cave and there he was.he just floughted to the top all lifeless and curled up.what would make a fish starve himself to death??? ? I don't understand it....I think it was because he was the only shark in there and he had no friends the same as him,he got on well with my clowns but I'm sure he was a bit lonley..they say not to put 2 of them in the one tank but I'm not to sure now.or maybe it was because he was unable to establish his own territory with the clowns sharing all the caves with him..I'm at a loss as to why??? I might get another shark when my new tank is ready but I don't want it to happen again,so maybe another clown instead would be a better idea..I will see when the time comes..rest in peace sharky you will be sadly missed..

well tomorow is the big day,my new tank gets delivered at 11:00 o clock..cant wait. ive seen the new tank in the shop it was ready on saturday but couldnt be delivered until tomorow because it was the guys day off..its huge ;D I got a new shark when I was down there,he is a a lot bigger than my last shark but isn't as aggresive this one is running away from my tigerbarbs instead of chasing them away....I also got some sterizen its a paracite and worm treatment,and it is just what the clowns needed.. 24 hours after starting the treatment my clowns seem the happiest and healthiest they have been since I started this thread...there zipping around the tank diging and clicking away and eating plenty. hopfully this has done the trick.I decided to try this after reading a lot about wasting away disease in clowns,I think that is what they had as all the symptoms matched my fishies behavior..just a little to late for my old shark, I'm sure this treatment would have cured him too..ive ordered a freshwater master test kit too,as none of the shops I go to had any in stock just saltwater ones,I get that on wednesday..so I will take some pics of the new tank as soon as I get it and you can all see how much potential it has before I start decorating it and setting it up..thanx again for all the help esspecialy butterfly.. .

PS All tanks should have bubbles...fish LOVE bubbles ;D ..

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your most welcome!!! Glad your clowns are doing well! Their probably anticipating the bigger tank also
Yes fish seem to love bubbles and they can't hurt unless it makes the water to rough. My 55G has a heavy curtain of bubbles across the back and my Kuhlis get in them and swim circles. they are so funny.
Carol

Boxermom

Reaction score
Just an FYI, red tailed black sharks don't like the company of their own kind, and tend to not like any other fish with the same body shape. And while they can get along with other fish when young, as they grow and get older, they get a LOT more aggressive and will harass other fish to death and/or can chase them out of the tank if there's an opening (I speak from experience).

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI David ,have you got your new tank yet and wot size is it. I was looking at your pictures, nice tank but you don't have any wood in there any reason why not, because a nice piece of wood finishes it off just right .

OP
D

david

Reaction score
funny that you mension that boff..I got some drift wood for the new tank but couldnt resist puting it in the old one just for now.heres a pic of it...clowns and sharks love it.its all hollow underneath so I made another little cave out of it..also got another really good piece for the new tank I think its mangrove roots but its too big for my small tank..the new one arives today I will take some pics when it gets here 2-3 hours counting down.is 5 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot...massive..

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI David ,that mangrove root looks great, it will really good in your new hugh tank ,I would love something that big you lucky thing ,are you going to set it up straight away I would have to would be like christmas when you were a kid .A nice shoal of Rainbows would look great in there heres some pics of mine Red rainbows and boesmans rainbows they are still only young so do not have full colour yet sorry about quality but took them on my phone .
clear.gif
hope this works .

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love wood in a tank and clowns love wood to hide in/under. but might I offer a caution born of experience? Make sure there aren't any crevices or holes possibly big enough for your clowns to squeeze into. They love tight places. This said because late one night found me home lifting a 50 lb piece of soaked driftwood out of a 75G tank, laying it on the floor, and using a hammer and screwdriver to chisel a clown loach out of a hole he had gotten wedged into. Then he flopped all over the floor with his eye thorns out. Yes I got him safely back into the tank, no I didn't get stuck with his thorns and he's fine to this day but still trying aout any little space he can find. Funny now but was heart attack time then
Beautiful wood by the way.
Carol

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, there about 2.5-3 inches long at moment, at what size do you think they will be adults because I would love to breed them any idear cheers boff. ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure Boff I have never had rainbows but have seen some good sized bosemanis
Carol

OP
D

david

Reaction score
;D ;D well its finaly arived ;D ;D so much potential..cool rainbows boff..I don't know what other fish I will get yet I think I will just stick too the ones I have for now and se how they go,got to get it up and running first then wait for it to cycle in a tank that big it will probably take a while..but I am thinking of maybe a pleco of some sort they don't get aggresive do they?????so here are the pics try not to drool too much people..lol.. that sounds crazy butterfly I will definitely make sure there are no small gaps they can wedge themselves into,I would have had a heart attack.. I will keep you informed on my progress..but ive got a lot of things to get still I think I might go shoping today and get what I need to get started cycling...cheers for your intrest its good to share with people that love fishies as much as me..all my mates don't share the same enthusiasm as me and think I'm going nuts.. I put some fish food on top of the tank so thet you can compare the size and see how big this thing really is..thanx again

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Really cool tank, so now your gonna watch your Clowns come out and play at night
Carol

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice tank mate ,that's going to take some filling ,just one thing, a tank that size with all that water in it is going to weigh some ,is it up staires on floor boards or joists down staires on concreat floor .Your said maybe buying a pleco this is my sailfin hes about 6 inches at the moment they, grow so quick can get to 18 inches fine for your tank. They are called the genntle giant mine is fine with all of my fish but they can get terrtoral if more than one in a tank .boff

HI a better picture

OP
D

david

Reaction score
hI everybody well I got some work done on the tank bought heaps of gravel and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned etc etc..thought I could save some money getting landscape gravel,it was cheaper but a lot more work. > it was filthy..think I might need some more too : .check out the background picture,I think its awsome..my tank is downstairs boff,but its still on floorboards and joices though :-\ they are running the right way to support the tank the best they can but it is still gonna freek me out filling it up..I'm gonna fill it with buckets and if I here any creeking then that's as full as it gets ..I like your sail fin,how long have you had that??looks big..also like the wood in the picture of your rainbows did you buy that or find it somewere?? I'm going to go to a loch and look for stones and driftwood on saturday,ineed to get another fillter and heater too..saturday wiil be my first day off work since I got it,so I haven't been able to get plants..saturday will be the day I get it set up properly..so I will post more pics then..ive got to let you all in on a little secret though the mangrove root is really plastic ;D very realistic but..well I might not be able to see them at night butterfly but I'm sure I will here them,I could here them hitting gravel aginst the glass when they were in my room before..the clowns are doing really well with the medication,still very happy. there's still 2 more doses to go,1 on sat and 1 on monday.hopfully that will totaly cure them,there eating well and getting bigger again ;D ...I just know my fish are gona luv this tank..anyway I'm rambling on a bit so here are the pics... ;D

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI the tanks starting to get there ,the background you have got looks great I bet your chuffed .My sailfin ive Had him for about 1 year when I got him he was about 2 inches now hes 6 inches, they grow so fast ,bought him from a bad fish shop the bloke did not tell me how big it would get and I did not know being a beginner ,its a shame you live at the other end of the country he would love to live in your tank ,if your are thinking of getting one the trouble is when they eat the algae of the leaves they seem to eat the leaves as well, so ive got silk plants .My wood I got from the beach ,where I live lots of trees have fallen on to the beach ,so I found the best looking roots and cut them off,(ime thinking of selling some on ebay ) just boiled it and soaked it in a water butt it takes about 4 weeks to get totally soaked heres a picture of a piece ime soaking a the moment ,well good luck can't wait to see more pictures boff.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
David the tank is coming along nicely. It's always so exciting to set up a new tank. Keep the pics coming
Boff - I too am always on the look out for wood and rocks. Heres a good place to get caves.
Carol

New Threads