Worms?

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just did a 20% water change in Grim's tank, it kicked up what looked like little white worms. They are about a quarter of an inch long and very slender. I thought it was just debree or fish poo at first, but the wriggle and are very clearly alive. What are these? There are a lot of them. Are they dangerous? Grim is eating them, so i'm very worried, even more worried because i think he is constipated and shouldn't be getting any food at all. Are these parasites that will harm him??
~J~

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those are Planarians and they are harmless. Eventually your betta may even decide that they are food. They are generally a sign that you are overfeeding. Cutting down on feeding and doing regular gravel vacuuming and water changes will usually get rid of most of them but they are sometimes just a normal part of aquarium life but they are harmless.

Rose

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, well, I was over feeding, and then, b4 I even got Grim, I was adding a few flakes to the tank regularly to help get it cycled... ugh, Grim is already eating them.. is that okay?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yep it's fine It's like feeding him live food- a good source of protein. But I wouldn't feed him any bloodworms while he is eating these, it might be too much protein.
Carol

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, that should be his Yummies for now with maybe a pellet (1) twice a day. When he quits chowing on the planarians then he can go back to the regular meals.

Rose

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
cool. I think it's good that he's getting some live food, as long as he dosen't expect it ALL the time. hehe. I also appreciate him getting the little buggers out of my tank!!!

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Heh

Boy you handled that well ((timesdragonfly))! I'm glad you posted about this so, should I ever get worms, I'll know what to do and not to freak. I would have freaked...

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
lol! Thanks AesSedai! It kinda freaked me out at first! But i'm glad they are harmless, and at this point, they seem to be gone, at least mostly!
~J~

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom