Worms, yum yum!

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Got some earthworms today in my backyard. Now that the ground has FINALLY unthawed from the winter. fed some to my fish, it was soooo funny how they slurped them up like "wormy spahghetti"!

Anyway, my question is; are they very nutritional, like should I just feed a tiny bit as a treat once a week? Or can I give them a little peice daily? Thanks! Brianna

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd guess they'd have the same benefits/risks as any live food if cleaned well. I've not thought of earthworms with our fish, but if you serve some to yours, might be good to serve veggies like peas the next meal after worms.. any worm experts to weigh in on this?

zeddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I give earthworms to my fish all the time and they love them.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
I'd guess they'd have the same benefits/risks as any live food if cleaned well. I've not thought of earthworms with our fish, but if you serve some to yours, might be good to serve veggies like peas the next meal after worms.. any worm experts to weigh in on this?
Or you should let the worms sit in some veggies for a little while first so they can get the dirt out of their system and get some veggies in there. So in a way, the fish will be getting their veggies with their steak.
Tom

zeddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
thats a really good idea. i always just rinsed the dirt off the outside and tossed them in

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
zeddy said:
thats a really good idea. i always just rinsed the dirt off the outside and tossed them in
But since they burrow through and eat dirt, they will definatly have it in their body.
Tom

zeddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
i also do allot of fishing as well, i knew they had dirt in them i just thought i would keep then natural. i didn't know a little dirt would hurt them

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
let us know how they work as a food source.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
let us know how they work as a food source.
They are a great source of protein and the only thing you would really clean them out for is to get rid of any chemicals that have leaked into the soil around those worms. It's not the dirt that would hurt them, it would be the chemicals in the soil that could kill them.
Tom

zeddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
i never thought of that thanks for the tip

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your welcome.
Tom

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
hmm i might try earthworms for my Dwarf Frogs... So you catch an earthworm in dirt.. pull it out.. and then what? How do you prepare it? Do you have to squeeze it it get the dirt OUT and then rinse it to get the dirt OFF?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
check Tom's post (#3) in this thread.. that sounds like a good plan to me.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
I don't remember where I heard that, but htat is even the best way to use worms for fishing. That way if you keep and eat the fish, the worms 'dirt' won't be in your system over time.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tom said:
FLBettaCouple said:
I don't remember where I heard that, but htat is even the best way to use worms for fishing. That way if you keep and eat the fish, the worms 'dirt' won't be in your system over time.
Tom
this is also a good plan if you get the worms near a cemetery. :;jk

nicole

Valued Member
Reaction score
gmann21193 said:
hmm i might try earthworms for my Dwarf Frogs... So you catch an earthworm in dirt.. pull it out.. and then what? How do you prepare it? Do you have to squeeze it it get the dirt OUT and then rinse it to get the dirt OFF?
Yuuuk!If you squeeze it there will be all sorts of stuff comming out, I buy live worms from lfs and dont have to worry about all the dirt.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nicole said:
gmann21193 said:
Yuuuk!If you squeeze it there will be all sorts of stuff comming out, I buy live worms from lfs and dont have to worry about all the dirt.
now THAT is a GUMMY WORM!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nicole said:
gmann21193 said:
Do you buy mealworms or regular earthworms?
Tom

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
nicole said:
gmann21193 said:
but sometimes the earthworms come in dirt. Do you think dwarf frogs like mealworms? didnt think of that. i just think they are getting tired of frozen bloodworms haha.

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i've heard that mealworms aren't a great idea because of their fat content and their hard "skin."

is that just a rumor or does it have some basis?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom