Worms On The Glass!!! Help 

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Help! What are these?? Are they harmful?? They’re wiggling crawling on my tank’s glass! I’ve got Corys, Nerites, and shrimps in the tank. There are some Nerite eggs... but these surely don’t look like Nerite babies!

Attachments

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My guess would be either nematodes or planaria as they are the most common I’ve seen in my aquariums. Planaria are a flat worm vs nematodes being round. Here is an interesting article I found when researching a while back. Worms in Fish Tanks – Are They Dangerous to Fish?

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
5DAEF821-C859-430A-A191-E4C81C3E74B4.png
As zoomed in as I can get:

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My vote is that they are planaria. I had a pretty bad outbreak when I kept a cherry shrimp only tank. Usually they are caused by over feeding/ poor water quality. Easy to get rid of, simply cut back on how much you feed for a few weeks and do more frequent water changes. If i recall correctly they should cause no harm to your fish/inverts

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Many copper treatments will wipe them out - but they will also whomp your snails and shrimp unless you completely remove them from the tank during treatment.

Bettas28

Valued Member
Reaction score
My guess is either planaria or detritus worms

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Best way to tell what they are is to knock them into the water. If they swim around in a s shape theyre detritus worms if they contract and go round like and sink theyre planaria.

Dont use copper to kill them it will stay in ypur tank and kill your shrimp even if you take them out during treatment.

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
La la try looking up rhabdocoela flatworms! *dances away*

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They did contract into a ball and sank so planaria it is! Ugh! How do I get rid of these? As I was closely inspecting my glass, it seems like I have hydra too! OMG :eek: help! How to get rid of these pests without killing my shrimps, fish and snails?

How much do I exactly cut back in feeding? I feed a pinch of vibra bites/shrimp pellets or drop 2-3 sinking pellets/half algae wafer twice a day. Is that too much for 15 amanos and 6 corydoras? Should I feed once a day instead?

Wydowmayker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can buy traps for all the worms and nuisance snails, but i’m not sure what to do with hydra.

The traps are quite reasonable.

I know how you feel. I had one detritus worms a few months and almost freaked out. I grabbed him with a tweezers, and never saw anymore.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom