Worms On Plant?

jjwebster

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone,

Since I have logged on last, I had went on vacation, fish got sick and I lost all but one ID. Doctored him up and he is doing great.(spoiled actually) About one and two weeks ago I added two Oscars and before that an algae eater. All are in a 30 gal for now and all have been going very well, as they are small at this point.I also bought a 75 gal tank preparing for their future!
Tonight I noticed worm like stringy stuff attached to a plant at the bottom of the tank(2 or 3) It almost looks like long brown poop, or obviously worms.Read some articles on here about different worms, think it sounds more like the horse worms, but am definitely not sure. Not sure if I should leave them without worry, back off on feeding, or try to use something to get rid of them.
Any suggestions?

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can you post a picture of the worms?

jjwebster

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
no,I wouldn't know where to begin, and 15 yr.old son is asleep.I just pulled the plant and scooped out what I could find. One piece was very long.

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Do they look like that?

jjwebster

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes, I think so.Even dimension, brownish, very, very skinny.Almost looked like weeds in grass, flowing from water circulation.They were not swimming freely or clinging to glass at this point.

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I believe those are detritus worms. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) They are not harmful to your fish and they are caused by overfeeding. Try to cut down on feeding for a few days and do a few extra gravel vacs and it should help. Many times fish will eat them and they are actually a good source of protein.

"These worms generally are not a problem often go un-noticed living in the gravel aiding in breakdown of wastes, however high numbers of particular species can indicate low oxygen levels, cloudy water, poor Redox and low filter productivity, which very often suggests some degree of pollution caused by poor cleaning procedures, over crowding, over feeding and poor filtration. When the population explodes these worms often leave the gravel and cling to the sides, usually close to the surface as oxygen depletion due to the cumulative affects of increased organic mulm (often resulting to pH.KH drops, higher nitrates, poor Redox Balance), cloudy water and simply too many Detritus worms drives them from the oxygen poor gravel." -

Have you tested your water parameters recently?

jjwebster

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry it took so long to read this, as it was late here Thursday p.m, and I was busy Friday preparing the yard for my daughters wedding for July 10th.(lake party!) My readings are good on the tank, and with all said, I can narrow it down to overfeeding.One Oscar seems to be a pickier eater, and I was offering a few different things to please it. The tank is quite clean when I vacuum( which is once a week) but water looked a little bit cloudy.My filter is for a 100 gal tank.It's the sponge type that just gets rinsed out, plus there are extra air lines and stones in there too.All of this in a 30 gal tank for 4 fish. Last week at the LPS ,I asked about the cloudiness, which I was told could be because of the shrimp pellets.All of this being said, I had offered some guppies.(From my daughters tank).
Thinking that it may be overfeeding, I cut back yesterday.Today I put in what I thought they should eat, and left it at that.I haven't seen anymore worms in tank as of today, and the water is a little less cloudy, although it was never extremely cloudy anyway.(I just want crystal clear water).
Since these worms apparently are not harmful, kept under control, and beneficial for the fish, I will not panic! I'll continue to watch and regulate the food better of course.
Thanks for your help, without your pictures and confirmation, I probably would have torn the tank apart and created more mayhem!
Thanks again! JJ

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No problem! Glad we were able to figure it out. I hope your daughter has a wonderful wedding!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads