Worms? On Driftwood?

sylviepld

I have had driftwood in my tank for 2 years and in the last 6 months or so I have noticed what looks like fuzzy brown worms growing out of my driftwood (see pic). They are 1-2 inches long and a bit thicker than bloodworms. Can anyone tell me what this is and why I would have it in my tank? Also, what are those black dots on the driftwood? TIA
driftwood.JPG

RSababady

Every now and then something grows out of my roots - I don't have driftwood, but mangrove roots in my tank.
When that happens, I take the root out, scrub it down and pour boiling water over the root. If there is an intense patch of "something" I use hydrogen peroxide to get rid of it.

Sorry, but I cannot tell you exactly what you have, but it looks more like a form of algae than worms.

Sorry - just noticed the question about the black dots - seems to be the beginning of BBA.
You need to do things:
  1. Clean your driftwood as I described earlier on
  2. Check for ammonia in your water. BBA usually spawns when you have ammonia in your water.
What are your water parameters?

Imthatpeep100

Looks like black beard algae. The main cause of it is unstable or low levels of carbon dioxide. When CO2 is unstable, plants can't use the fertilizers and light available to go through photosynthesis quite right, so that usually brings this algae in to help balance things. You can pick it off by hand then try to get your levels balanced. I find this better thank introducing a specimen to eat it up. Otherwise, you could also leave it as long as it doesn't start to stiffle your plants if you like the look

sylviepld

Looks like black beard algae. The main cause of it is unstable or low levels of carbon dioxide. When CO2 is unstable, plants can't use the fertilizers and light available to go through photosynthesis quite right, so that usually brings this algae in to help balance things. You can pick it off by hand then try to get your levels balanced. I find this better thank introducing a specimen to eat it up. Otherwise, you could also leave it as long as it doesn't start to stiffle your plants if you like the look

I can't take my driftwood out to scrape it clean because I have some crested fern growing attached to it. I can see the black dots being black beard algae because I've had it before in another tank but the long squiggly things are more reddish brown than black. My plants are all very healthy. So how could I get rid of this stuff? I'm also wondering how my CO2 could be too low or unstable. I have a lot of water movement and good filtration...could this cause it? My tank is 75 gallons.

Imthatpeep100

I can't take my driftwood out to scrape it clean because I have some crested fern growing attached to it. I can see the black dots being black beard algae because I've had it before in another tank but the long squiggly things are more reddish brown than black. My plants are all very healthy. So how could I get rid of this stuff? I'm also wondering how my CO2 could be too low or unstable. I have a lot of water movement and good filtration...could this cause it? My tank is 75 gallons.
Yes, the red worms to my knowledge are another kind of black beard algae. Technically, black beard algae is a type of red algae if I'm not mistaken. Anyway...

Well, might just wanna use a siphon to suck up pieces as you scrape it off in tank? Otherwise a potassium permanganate dip could work? Unsure if you can really pull the piece out to dip it though.

Also, you could have good filtration but plants will suck up CO2 to produce oxygen, so I'm inclined to believe they're the culprits especially for an aged tank. That mixed with good filtration seems like your tank may be producing more oxygen to cause the CO2 imbalance.

I mean... in my eyes, you can maybe see if any specimens that could help eat it stay in the tank. More specimens means more CO2 as well. Maybe cut back some plants? Unsure since algae can be finicky to fully rid of.

LDan

For some reason your pic is only showing up in preview for me so I can't embiggen it, but that's freaking awesome! I've never seen that before! I understand if you'd want to get rid of it tho, especially if it grows fast.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~
  • Driftwood
Replies
Views
~EverythingsSoSawbwa~
Replies
Views
applejax
  • Question
Replies
Views