Worms in tank?!

PNWBettas

I was just doing my routine water change in my 16g and when I was gravel vacuuming the substrate I noticed tiny white worms coming out :yuck:

Bleh I am thoroughly disgusted. Are they harmful to my fish? None are acting sick so far. Should I do something to get rid of them?

Woodsman27

That is a detritus worm. They lurk in the substrate and feed off the detritus. Fish can eat them no problem and be fine because they are not a parasite. To get rid of them try to keep the substrate clean and do partial water changes.

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

That is a detritus worm. They lurk in the substrate and feed off the detritus. Fish can eat them no problem and be fine because they are not a parasite. To get rid of them try to keep the substrate clean and do partial water changes.
Yeah I did some searching and it does look like that’s what it is. Wow that’s nasty haha. At least it’s not harmful at all.

Upvote 0

Woodsman27

Ugh yeah its a scary site when one starts wiggling around, but, they make a great snack for your fish!

Upvote 0

lojack

Free wiggling noodles for your fish.

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Free wiggling noodles for your fish.
Haha I guess your right. Definitely the last time I start a syphon with my mouth though!

Upvote 0

lojack

Haha I guess your right. Definitely the last time I start a syphon with my mouth though!
If you syphon with your mouth, you might get some free wiggling noodles as well, lol.:hungover:

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MrBryan723
Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
CichlidJynx
Replies