Worms in shrimp tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by DanB80TTS, Jul 25, 2015.

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

In my shrimp tank I have noticed a few very tiny worms that even free swim in the water. They are very very small, probably not much fatter than a strand of hair and not very long either, when they swim they look like the waves on the sound wave measure machine thing, the name escapes me, I think it's an occimeter or something along those lines.

I know it's almost impossible to have an aquarium without some sort of hitchhiker op but I don't know if these worms could be parasitic, are my shrimp at risk? My shrimp were not cheap and I've already had 2 of them die from the stress of shipping I presume.

My water parameters are fine also.

2. derkulies

derkulies Valued Member Member

May be planaria. mine were. They aren't harmful but a sign of over feeding. I had them in my tank and they looked like a little white s. I actually seen my gouramis eating them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Well I definitely haven't over fed, I have only dropped in one pinch of flakes, and I mean a tiny amount, other than that one time I don't feed the shrimp I just let them feed on the biofilm in the aquarium.

If they aren't a risk to my shrimp I don't care about them they will probably die off, they maybe hitchhiker in on some plants or something.

4. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Planaria are common in shrimp tanks at most stores. They probably hitch hiked in. Not really a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice