Worms in Nelson's Tank

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok, maybe this is a weird question, but Nelson has these tiny little worms in his tank. They are white, and about as big around as a strand of hair. They are several millimeters long. I occasionally see a few wiggling around in the water, but if I happen to stir up the gravel in any way, as in cleaning and moving decorations, then many more come out. Could they be parasitic? I've seen Nelson eat a few. Worms just really gross me out!!! ;:barf

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like you have a case of flatworms (planaria). They are very common in tanks...but if you are over feeding or under cleaning the tank their population can explode. Do you see them crawling up the glass on your tank?
Clean the tank well...gravel too and reduce the feeding for a while...they should die off mostly.
They are harmless but an INDICATOR of too much food or not too clean as in the gravel.

Flyfrod

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had the same thing happen in one of my betta tanks. Like Ted said clean the gravel good. Your betta might even help by eating them.

BunnyPuncher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As above. I had them for about a day and my betta gobbled em up. Have not seen them since. Keep things clean and your betta hungry

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sounds like you have a case of flatworms (planaria). They are very common in tanks...but if you are over feeding or under cleaning the tank their population can explode. Do you see them crawling up the glass on your tank?
Clean the tank well...gravel too and reduce the feeding for a while...they should die off mostly.
They are harmless but an INDICATOR of too much food or not too clean as in the gravel.
Are you sure they are planaria? They are not flat that I can see. We did an experiment on planaria in biology class, and they were brown and actually flat, and under a dissecting microscope looked very similar to the tape worm. I suppose my teacher could be mistaken, as he's . . . well . . . let's just say he's a very odd kind of person. That was the nicest way I can think to say it, as it is an honors class and other on-level and honors teachers finished the material we're on now before Christmas. Now I'll have to study myself to death over the summer to keep up. I digress . . . :whistling:

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh, I forgot to ask, how do the worms get in the tank in the first place? Spontaneous generation?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom