Worms Found On Food Opening

Kaitjm

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
upload_2019-3-17_10-36-14.jpeg

Friend’s tank, she found this this morning. Any precautions to take or are these just harmless worms from lack of cleaning? Most are localized here on the opening to the tank, but some made their way into the water. Thank you from both of us.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
View attachment 538074
Friend’s tank, she found this this morning. Any precautions to take or are these just harmless worms from lack of cleaning? Most are localized here on the opening to the tank, but some made their way into the water. Thank you from both of us.
What exactly is that a picture of? The black thing/container? It looks like bacterial colonies growing on the surface as well or is that decaying food? They resemble planaria. Harmless in small numbers, but can over run a poorly maintained tank and can increase water contamination (ammonia levels) and get into fish gills causing irritation and inflamation. I'd suggest rinsing off whatever that object is in treated water, thoroughly vacuum the tank substrate, do a good (50% or more) water change in the tank and avoid overfeeding fish or leaving food in the tank.

Last edited:

Kaitjm

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What exactly is that a picture of? The black thing/container? It looks like bacterial colonies growing on the surface as well or is that decaying food? They resemble planaria. Harmless in small numbers, but can over run a poorly maintained tank and can increase water contamination (ammonia levels) and get into fish gills causing irritation and inflamation. I'd suggest rinsing off whatever that object is in treated water, thoroughly vacuum the tank substrate, do a good (50% or more) water change in the tank and avoid overfeeding fish or leaving food in the tank.
It’s the opening for food on the lid. I assume it’s decaying food that she doesn’t clean out. Thank you for your input!

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
gross lol. probably a little moth like an indianmeal moth or fly got in and laid eggs. i think these are definitely insect larva of some sort. could also be from a beetle.

good thing is the fish will probably eat them. free fish food

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree. @midna I don't think that is an insect. Most maggots are the children of flies, and I can't think of any aquatic flies that look like that. A wc is probably the best way to go.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom