Worm or leach

Heron

I have been having problems with camallanus worms in one of my tanks. I treated 1 week ago with sera nematol as per instructions whilst waiting for some levamisole ( Esha - ndx ) to arrive. I treated with the levamisole yesterday and as per instructions carried out a 50% water change today. I notied whilst vacuuming the gravel a large wriggling creature. It was still alive. It was over an inch long when stretched out and I was told camallanus worms arent that big. It may be a leach, whatever it is it seems to have survived both treatments. I have attached a photo which is the best my cheap phone could get. Does anyone know what it is? If its a leach should the levamisole killed it?, Should I start treatment again straight away or continue as per the instuctions ( another treatment after 2 weeks ).
You must be registered to see images

richiep

It looks like a leech to me and categorised as phylum Annelida and are not on my list for Lavamisole to kill
Best I can do

Heron

It looks like a leech to me and categorised as phylum Annelida and are not on my list for Lavamisole to kill
Best I can do
Thanks for replying. I was hoping it's a leech so I don't have to worry my worm treatments have failed. I will add a snail/leech trap into the tank. Do you know of any good leech killing chemicals that won't kill the fish or the cycle or is it best just to trap them?.

richiep

I can't see there being many in there, take them out as you see them,

Fisheye

Alternatively, could it be the freshwater Barbronia weberi ? Fish of the right size will eat it. Eradication is said to be copper.

Heron

I haven't had a good track record when it comes to copper so I think I will wait to see and only use it if problems persist.

ZMAN3

Heron, what did you end up doing with this? I definitely have something similar (removed 3 so far) and I'm starting to get discouraged as it sounds like there aren't any aquarium treatments that will kill these guys,

Dechi

Can you temporarily house a clown loach ? It would probably eat any leech.

Heron

I gave the tank a deep clean and removed the gravel. I then boiled the gravel in batches in a saucepan for a few minute. I also removed the plants and ornaments and put them in a pottasium permanganate solution for 20 minutes. Then I put everything back and set it up again.
There was a slight ammonia spike for a day afterwards, I assume this was because the gravel held some beneficial bacteria but the filter had caught up again within 48 hours.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Heron
Replies
Views
Aqcapt
Replies
Views
robrofox
Replies
Views