worm on scales of fish?

fionah

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is this a worm on my fish? (sorry I forgot what type of fish this is!)

It started off like a small thread stuck to the side of the fish a few weeks ago. Just over the past few days it has grown, and the scale started sticking out slightly. Otherwise the fish seems quite active and eats normally.

I have a 65 litre tank with external filter.
The water results are zero with 7.4pH.
The temp is approx 25C.
Other fish: honey gouramis, blue dwarf gourami, corydoras, neon tetras, snails, amano shrimp.

Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank set up to put the fish in.

Thanks.

Attachments

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ahh it looks like a parasite >_<! Idk anything about parasites though.. Lets wait till what our experienced fish owners have to say.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This might ID exactly what it is:
(warning graphic pictures)

Once you ID the type, it will give you a better understand of how to treat.

Good luck.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
looks like a Parasitic nematode to me...google it and you can see some pics and ways to help

fionah

Valued Member
Reaction score
hello,

Lucy, thanks but none of these pictures seems to match the problem.
Shawnie, not having much luck finding pictures of parasitic nematode pictures directly relating to fish. Do you know of any?

Thanks.

I have also now noticed some little beasties crawling around on the glass just above the water line. They look like little dust mites: clear body and less than 1mm in size, with little legs and what looks like antlers. They do not touch the water.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not a huge fan of salt but I think I would consider a salt bath to dislodge it.
First be sure your fish can tolerate salt.
Do water changes and thorough gravels vacs to get rid of the ones in your tank.
Maybe this will help:
Preventing and treating fish parasites

I don't have experience with this type of thing so you might want to wait for other opinions.

Fishies-for-me

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
looks like an anchor worm to me.. try googling that and see if it is one.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fionah said:
hello,

Lucy, thanks but none of these pictures seems to match the problem.
Shawnie, not having much luck finding pictures of parasitic nematode pictures directly relating to fish. Do you know of any?

Thanks.

I have also now noticed some little beasties crawling around on the glass just above the water line. They look like little dust mites: clear body and less than 1mm in size, with little legs and what looks like antlers. They do not touch the water.

the beasties in the tank, arent an issue....usually over feeding and lack of water changes cause them....(been there many times) but as soon as I catch them in the tank, I do many water changes a few times a week...and stop spoiling my fish lol....but when they get so bad they attach to the fish, then its another issue....heres a good link to save

hope things are getting better!

fionah

Valued Member
Reaction score
The string ended up breaking in to small pieces then falling off leaving a white mark on the skin of my first fish.

In the meantime, another fish developed a red cyst like lump. There is a little white bit protruding from the lump which looks to be part of a worm that I can see inside the cyst. I tried taking a picture but it’s not very clear, sorry.

I took the fish to the LFS and they gave me Sterazin. Within a couple of hours of adding it to the tank (I’ve bought a new quarantine tank/equipment and put the snails & shrimps in it) a 3rd fish has excreted a red string of about 1cm long. Not sure if this is just normal poo, or if it is also a worm.

With regards to the small dust mite like beasties, they appear very similar to the s found when googling ‘fish lice’. However, I only see these above the water and have not seen any small creatures in the water other than the worms appearing on the fish.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads