Worm in my tank? Question

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hi Added some new plants a week ago. and after doing a water change today I found what looked like a little worm in the bottom of my tank wriggling about so I removed it and put down the sink! What the heck was it? I have kept the tank very clean since getting it with frequent water changes. I'm worried.. I took a pic but it's very small. Can be supplied if needed.
    :;thx

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

They could be planaria/flatworms. They're not are harmful just kind of creepy.
    They can be controlled by not over feeding and keeping your aquarium clean.

3. VenomGrass Member Member

Give me the shivers.. lol was only very small thin and 1" long

4. haedra Well Known Member Member

Planaria don't get that big... do you have a pic?

5. VenomGrass Member Member

I meant 1cm long, sorry. Is this still too long?

I have just been lookign at pictures of planaria worms and it wasnt flat at all. It was very thin and around 1cl long. and was wriggling around. The pic is very blurrey; i'll try upload it though

6. haedra Well Known Member Member

No, that could still be it. ;) But if it was "wiggling" might be something else. Was it moving through the water in kind of an "S" shape? Pics are best to help figure out what it is, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Plants can bring in all kinds of things, most are harmless.

*edited to add* Nematodes maybe? http://theaquariumwiki.com/Nematode

7. crazedACD Member Member

What color are they? Are you missing any fish? I had a few teeny black worms (that I'm assuming were a variety of planaria) show up...upon further investigation I had missed a fish dying and they were snacking on him. Pictures would be helpful.

8. VenomGrass Member Member

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That looks bigger than what I had in my tank.

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Well, it doesn't appear to be Callamanus worms IMO which is good! They can be fatal to fish.
    Ken

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

This is a pic of what I had:
    227.jpg

Did it look like that?

12. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks; quite similar I dont think it was as long, but your photo quality is much better.

13. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

From looking at pics, I think mine were nematodes.
    Hopefully haedra can give an ID.

14. haedra Well Known Member Member

Oh! I am by no means, an expert. ;) I just did a bit of reading when I ended up with planaria in my tank long ago.

The S shape swimming and round long shape is characteristic of nematodes. Most are harmless; some are not. As long as you aren't seeing an outbreak of them I wouldn't worry about it too much.

There are quite a few little beasties you might end up with, especially after introducing live plants. I find some of them quite fascinating.

This is actually a pretty good site that might help you identify whatever you find, either now or in the future: http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is_that_bug_in_my_aquarium.html

15. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks for that! Big favour there; reputation points for this :)

16. VenomGrass Member Member

Identified: Nematode :)

17. VenomGrass Member Member

I found the problem, the hornwort plants were infected with Nematodes. I could see them wriggling about inside the plant under my light! how disgusting.. I removed them all and will not buy from eBay again..

18. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

nematodes are also caused by overfeeding and not enough gravel vacs...I have them as well from spoiling my fish

19. VenomGrass Member Member

Can you get something to kill them? I'm scared of them lol

20. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

no just extra gravel vacs and less feeding....they dont hurt anything..and most fish will eat them...but the reproduce fast!!
    took me 2 weeks to get rid of mine ...and i had to vac every day :( but now and then i get them again cause i just cant stop spoiling my babies