Worm died for ADF

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Taritus, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Taritus

TaritusValued MemberMember

Hello wonderful people of fish lore
    I was reading about ADF's and what they like to eat because mine isn't to big of a fan of the tadpole food and I read they love worms so I got her some and cut one in half for her to try and she absolutely loves it
    It was great to see her eat for once and was wondering if it's possible to put her on a worm only diet ?
    Thank you for help :)
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436221764.797382.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    Taritus

Sorry meant diet

3. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

It wold probably be good idea to cut the worm into smaller bite size pieces for your frog. His belly just isn't big enough.

Think of it this way, how would you feel if you tried to down something twice as long as you are tall and 1/2 your width.

ADF's can choke. They don't have teeth to gnash food and they don't have tongues to push anything to large out.
    Their arms and flippers are just a tad (ha a pun lol) too short to pull out anything that may be stuck.

Can't comment on an earth worm only diet but there are some food suggestions here:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/care-sheet-for-african-dwarf-frogs.36417/

4. marijo

marijoWell Known MemberMember

Hi Taritus

No I would not, I think you should vary their diet, so they can get different nutriments, mine don't really like the frog pellets, I give them frozen mysis shrimp, forzen brine shrimp frozen blood worms and San Fransico Bay Freshwater Frenzy, also shrimp pellets soften in the tank water, I gave them earthworms once, they went crazy, it was like filet mignon for them! I would suggest you cut the worms into bite size, it's the first time I see a picture of an adf trying to eat half a worm almost as big as him, did your frog ate the wholw thing?

5. OP
    OP
    Taritus

Yea eating something 13ft2 doesn't sound fun but I did end up cutting the worm into mch smaller pieces when she spit it out
    My frog isn't interested in freeze dried shrimp or blood worm and beef heart and rarely eats pellets

6. marijo

Hello

Have you try the frozen food?

7. OP
    OP
    Taritus

Iv tried frozen shrimp and beef heart

8. marijo

you have a picky frog and a spoiled one(mine would like to get eartworms more often, they went crazy when I once gave them one ! I would say continue with the earthworms but still try to offer different food!