Worm Came Out My Snail

ShellyB78

Valued Member
Reaction score
i saw something writhing around on top of a snail in my tank. I zoomed in with my phone and saw a white worm almost wriggle up off the snail and into the water and landed onto my gravel, one of my shrimp went after it and it disappeared into the stones!! I haven’t seen it since and the snail is going around with what looks like a casing of where the worm came out on it’s shell and I’m left thinking what the **** did I just see!!! Will it infest my shrimp or eat them? Anyone know what it might be?

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are there fish in that tank as well? It almost looks like a poop. and the reason it was moving coulda been the current of the tank and the reason it was on or around the snail is it may have smelt some food that was in the waste.

OP
ShellyB78

ShellyB78

Valued Member
Reaction score
Are there fish in that tank as well? It almost looks like a poop. and the reason it was moving coulda been the current of the tank and the reason it was on or around the snail is it may have smelt some food that was in the waste.
It’s a shrimp tank primarily. But I do have 4 guppies I used to help cycle the tank still in there. I sear I saw a worm and if I look close up I can see where the casing comes out of the shell. It stayed attached to the shell for about half an hour until the snail fell off the shrimp food stick and landed on its back and it came off.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is interesting the only ones to be aware of with shrimp is planaria and I think you can rule that out on what you say, shrimp tanks are wonderful as we get loads of bugs, I scan my tanks for hours with a microscope looking for new stuff, short term I dont think you have anything to worry about, if it becomes a problem as in to many it can be sorted, lots of pictures please if he re emerges , you've got my attention as well

aae0130

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is the snail still moving?

Look up nematomorpha and schistosomiasis.

Check out this video. J7m0 to the 6:30 mark for a look at the schistosomiasis worm in a snail.

Last edited:
OP
ShellyB78

ShellyB78

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is the snail still moving?

Look up nematomorpha and schistosomiasis.

Check out this video. J7m0 to the 6:30 mark for a look at the schistosomiasis worm in a snail.
Yes the snail is still alive and well so it seems. No sign of the worm again. Everyone saying guppy poo has me doubting my own eyes now lol. I’ll keep an eye out still like I have every day hoping to see it so I can remove it. The video you posted (the first one and thank you for those) at 6:30 ish mark it does say the exact species I saw it come from is a host for worms. So it’s definitely possible that I saw a worm!

OP
ShellyB78

ShellyB78

Valued Member
Reaction score
for Those who saw my worm came out of my snail post.... here is said worm swimming across my tank!!!! I vacuumed my gravel to but it’s got away (edit I took these pics off of a video I took of it which was too big too post hence the blurry pics as it was swimming fast)

Attachments

Last edited:

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi shelly after seeing that I remember 6monts or so ago another member had the same thing and I did some digging then and found one particular worm was commonly found in with snails that lived in harmony in the shell and helped to clean them, her problem turned out to be different, if I can find it again I'll post

OP
ShellyB78

ShellyB78

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi shelly after seeing that I remember 6monts or so ago another member had the same thing and I did some digging then and found one particular worm was commonly found in with snails that lived in harmony in the shell and helped to clean them, her problem turned out to be different, if I can find it again I'll post
Ok thank you as always lol I’m just worried about my shrimp, I don’t want it to be some parasite that eats them or something.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He not a problem to shrimp I know that but your right to post, the only bad worm we get is planaria they look like they have cross eyes and triangular head, although they will kill shrimp they wont devastate a tank over night you'll have plenty of time to get the right med, but your right to post anything your not sure of it gives us all something to do and look at

OP
ShellyB78

ShellyB78

Valued Member
Reaction score
He not a problem to shrimp I know that but your right to post, the only bad worm we get is planaria they look like they have cross eyes and triangular head, although they will kill shrimp they wont devastate a tank over night you'll have plenty of time to get the right med, but your right to post anything your not sure of it gives us all something to do and look at
Yes my big shrimp has it you told me, the white between the eyes. I’ve ordered aquarium salt for that it’s en route to fix her. But she’s the only one with it thus far. So hopefully it’ll stay that way. That worm is so elusive... if I see it again I’m going to try and net it out.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 86 66.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 24 18.5%

Top Bottom