World's Toughest Betta

KinsKicks

Hello all!

So, a bit of a story time, but I think it's well worth it to the end. I've gotten a new Betta today, completely unplanned but I'm glad I did, and I'm going to go ahead and give him the Worlds Toughest Betta Award. One of my best friends has a friend at her college (let's call him Bob). Bob's roomate is the biggest jerk in all of history (doing many BAD things in addition to this story) who kept a Betta in a solo cup ALL year at college. No filtration, heater, nothing. This guy was sick. For an entire year, he TORTURED this betta by putting Kool Aid powder, uneaten food, random drinks, and even peeing (yes I'm serious) into this poor things cup, as well as a bunch of other things like shaking the cup, and taking it out to watch it flop around without water. All because he thought it was funny. So, that college was kicking out its residents today (last day) and on a whim, really without anything to lose, Bob (the nice guy) stole the Betta, drive it an hour out of his way to our city and gave it to my friend to give to me to care for. And he is now mine

He's a great guy who was in TERRIBLE shape. Barely moving and deathly sickly looking. Set him up in an extra 5 gallon (thank goodness for MTS) and used an overkill filter from my empty (but cycled) 20 gallon breeder (better than nothing and I slowed the flow) and bought a new heater. Literally after a couple of hours in a clean tank and all the amenities, he's weakly swimming around and looking much better; even accepted a hand-fed pellet and a teeny piece of bloodworm. BROKE MY HEART.

I'll post pictures soon, but I'm going to let him finally be happy for awhile and not stress him out. Best rescue Betta of all time, and most Definetly the toughest, I think. Thought I'd share a story with a horrible beginning and a happy ending.

Neptune334

Bob's roommate sounds like such a horrible person! I am so happy that the little guy is now under your care and I am sure he feels the same way!

KinsKicks

I really hope he's gonna make it. I have high hopes he's going to make it. He's been through waaay worse.

KimberlyG

So happy that you have him! The damage he incurred during this torture is unknown, but at least he has a chance now.

KnownToSome

Did you baffle the filter? Forgive my words, but there's a hot place farrrr south, awaiting "Bobs" terrible end, may Bob find the Lord or burn for his awful disposition...

Onto the wonderful Betta!!! Methylene blue bath with salt will do wonders for the little guy once he's stronger, it will help ease the ammonia burns from his death cup and deliver extra oxygen to his blood. Baffle the outflow if you haven't already. I recommend Indian almond leaves to help with comfort, the stained water will both calm him and help with minor abrasions. If he had any mechanical damage Furanol meds are hands down the best for cuts and scrapes that aren't healing. Also a tall plant like broad leaf Anubis, floating log, or leaf hammock will help keep him close to the surface for getting air. Daphnia is small and easy to eat with lots of calcium, and spirulina brine shrimp are both great for weak fish- and both avail in the freezer at your lfs. Please keep us posted, I have never rooted this hard for recovery.

My apologies, bobs roommate, "Bob" is okay in my book, but* he could have saved the fish from his roommate long ago. Cups aren't hard to sneak out, even out of tiny dorms.

KinsKicks

Did you baffle the filter? Forgive my words, but there's a hot place farrrr south, awaiting "Bobs" terrible end, may Bob find the Lord or burn for his awful disposition...

Onto the wonderful Betta!!! Methylene blue bath with salt will do wonders for the little guy once he's stronger, it will help ease the ammonia burns from his death cup and deliver extra oxygen to his blood. Baffle the outflow if you haven't already. I recommend Indian almond leaves to help with comfort, the stained water will both calm him and help with minor abrasions. If he had any mechanical damage Furanol meds are hands down the best for cuts and scrapes that aren't healing. Also a tall plant like broad leaf Anubis, floating log, or leaf hammock will help keep him close to the surface for getting air. Daphnia is small and easy to eat with lots of calcium, and spirulina brine shrimp are both great for weak fish- and both avail in the freezer at your lfs. Please keep us posted, I have never rooted this hard for recovery.

Oh yes! It's all baffled/covered and such (thank you for asking!), and I'm grabbing some IAL soon; this isn't my first rodeo show and like my 6th tank rn (lol, what's one more) I have so much equipment and food I might as well run my own shop! . He's doing great. Even swam around a bit and is taking a nap (hoping it's a nap) on his Betta leaf; getting more actual plants at the shop tomorrow and a proper filter for the tank size. And I'll def look into Furanol meds, thanks!

I think he wanted to take it out, but didn't know what he could do with it; I think we were all surprised it survives this long! His roommate has high and alcoholic all the time and could get pretty violent (got mad when Bob tried to buy a bigger bowl); so he decided to do it this time because he was NEVER going to see that jerk again.

MissRuthless

Wow, what a sick kid. I think we should find "Bob"'s roommate, stuff him in a solo cup (or well, that wouldn't really work, how about a big trash can?) and pee on him!!!! (That was maybe not forum appropriate but..?)

For real though, college kids are messed up. Years ago I worked at a total dive bar and my boss had a 10 gallon with guppies that he kept on the bar... he was really bad at fish, made me take everything out and bleach it every two weeks and then would blame me when the fish died every time... well anyway one day I came in and noticed one lone fry swimming around so I caught it in a pint glass and set it on the bar, planning on taking it home that night. Some college boys came in and had drinks, and were being all typical and stupid at the bar, and one of them notices the fish and asks me if it's okay if his friend drinks it. So I'm like umm, absolutely how about not? And he's like what if I give you five bucks? And I'm like nope, still not. And the next time I turn around to grab a bottle from the shelf, I turn back around and the freaking kid is swallowing the poor fry. I was livid. At this point I'd been serving rude drunk people at bars for years and have dealt with more than my share of jerks without issue - this was, and still is, the only time I've ever lost my temper at work - I screamed. I screamed some really nasty things loudly enough that everyone in the bar and dining room turned and looked, and the guys outside smoking were peeking in the windows watching me freak on these kids. On the bright side, they left me a $50 tip to make up for it... but how can you really make up for consuming a live baby animal???

*sigh* I don't think most boys go to college to get more knowledge. I feel like they go to college to get more "stupider" - though of course that wouldn't make for a very catchy schoolyard chant.

KnownToSome

Oh yes! It's all baffled/covered and such (thank you for asking!), and I'm grabbing some IAL soon; this isn't my first rodeo show and like my 6th tank rn (lol, what's one more) I have so much equipment and food I might as well run my own shop! . He's doing great. Even swam around a bit and is taking a nap (hoping it's a nap) on his Betta leaf; getting more actual plants at the shop tomorrow and a proper filter for the tank size. And I'll def look into Furanol meds, thanks!

I think he wanted to take it out, but didn't know what he could do with it; I think we were all surprised it survives this long! His roommate has high and alcoholic all the time and could get pretty violent (got mad when Bob tried to buy a bigger bowl); so he decided to do it this time because he was NEVER going to see that jerk again.

I am so grateful you ended this fish's suffering, and to your friends friend for doing his part! Sounds like you got this handled, I bet the clean water and even a tank, feels like he's died and gone to heaven. I love the amazing feeling you get from a rescue, knowing that fish is safer tonight then he was the last- you can't beat the warm fuzzies you feel from giving love. And even if he only lived ONE day in your care, passing in a cycled, heated, filtered tank would be better then his best day "at college". This fish is ornery thru and thru, just to spite his previous abuser- I bet he'll live to his full life span, or hit a record (I sure hope so!).

KinsKicks

Ok! Here's a photo update . He's doing great and swimming around a lot more (although in slow bursts) and just being the cutest thing ever! Did a methylene dip and used a little dose of Furanol meds (thx KnownToSome!) for a a couple of scrapes and a pretty sizable "gash" on his right flank and I have an IAL in there. Hes healing pretty quickly and his tail is growing back nicely too (there are still a couple of large chunks missing) and I think he's a crowntail. He still quite spooked when I come around and still hides quite a bit, but I snapped this photo during feeding time before he swam away again

Therefore with his wonderful progress...Any name suggestions . I think he deserves one. A lot of my bettas have gemstone names and it would be nice to continue the trend. But I'm open to any suggestions! He will be a fish of the people!

Attachments

• IMG_2226.JPG
    IMG_2226.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 97

VioletSS

"Citrine"
And congrats on doing a very good deed.

oOturquoiseOo

How about Diamond because he's so strong?

Such an awesome thing you're doing for him.

Philosoraptor

What a wonderful recovery story! I'm glad to see that such a beautiful creature can enjoy the rest of its days in a safe, pretty home!

Btw you could name him Citrine or Topaz. I don't know a lot about gemstones, but I'm pretty sure those come in yellow variants...

VioletSS

Citrine almost sounds like "serene", which means untroubled. And that's certainly how that little guy deserves to live out the rest of his life. Untroubled.

KimberlyG

Beryl or Topaz (He's looking awesome)

Neptune334

I'm glad that he seems to be doing better! How about Sunshine?

Fanatic

Apollo
Sunshine
Quartz
Citrus

TheCyanDragon

Tigers eye (gold/orange/yellow stone)
Because he's Rising up to the challenge of our rival,
And the last known survivor

Dandelion-Dream

Scapolite is an uncommon but reasonably attractive yellow gem. There's also Pyrite, too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KingCynosure
Replies
Views
Appalousea
Replies
Views
CanadianFishFan
Replies
Views