work tank Question 

whiskey woman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gday all, just a quick q, I'm not understanding what is going on in a particular tank (50litre) housing 8 ahlI electric blues. Last week with a water change readings as follows ; ph-7.6, nitrate-0, nitrite-0, ammonia-2.0 (maybe ammonium)...fish look great...This week fish look great normal but water is ****!!! as follows ph-7.2, nitate-20, nitrite-.50, ammonia-4.0 !!!...Nothing has been added, test kits are fine brand new and shaken before use...I have done another water change today but it just looks like these guys should be dead!!! what's going on...I need someone to explain what actually happens so give it ya best shot...thanks a bunch...

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It may not look like it, but the fish may actually be suffering. Some fish can die in a matter of minutes when exposed to high levels of Ammonia while others bare it and die slowly.. Was your tank cycled before you added your fish?

whiskey woman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That I don't know, and yes I agree they may look fine hey but they could be feeling really bad..I am going to move them to an ok tank, what do you think I should do to get original tank better...

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
whiskey woman said:
That I don't know, and yes I agree they may look fine hey but they could be feeling really bad..I am going to move them to an ok tank, what do you think I should do to get original tank better...
You don't know if your tank was cycled or not?

If that's the case, I suggest you buy Prime Ammonia Remover.. The name is misleading as it doesn't remove Ammonia, just makes it weaker.

If the spare tank you have is cycled and has no fish that may clash with your Cichlids.. then I suggest doing so, If not, be prepared to cycle with fish. (With Prime, don't forget)

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your aquarium is going through the nitrogen cycle. Your fish produce ammonia, after a while bacteria grow that eat this ammoinia and produce nitrite. Another few weeks and bacteria grow that eat the nitrite and produce nitrate, which you remove through water changes.

Both ammonia and nitrite are highly toxic to all fish. If you can move the fish that is perfect. Keep adding food to the new tank, even with no fish in it, and the bacteria will continue to grow. Test your water every day and in 4-6 weeks you should have readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5+ nitrate. Before you get to this point, the ammonia will spike really high, atone 4.0-5.0 (sounds like you are here in the cycle), then the nitrites will spike to an equally high level, and finally ammonia and nitrite will 0 out and nitrate will steadily climb.

Click on he blue underlined words nitrogen cycle in the first sentance to learn more.

whiskey woman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
work tanks

firemouthfreak said:
You don't know if your tank was cycled or not?

If that's the case, I suggest you buy Prime Ammonia Remover.. The name is misleading as it doesn't remove Ammonia, just makes it weaker.

If the spare tank you have is cycled and has no fish that may clash with your Cichlids.. then I suggest doing so, If not, be prepared to cycle with fish. (With Prime, don't forget)
hey,
ahh yeh only started working at this shop for the last 6 months and just something I haven't asked the boss as we used to have an expert on hand whom since has left, and I willingly put my hand up to look after and learn so forgive me if I sounded vague....will get on to it and already cichlids have got some better colour in them after being put into a CYCLED tank...beauty...

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm glad your fish are feeling better

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Whiskey Woman

I'm glad to hear that you're taking care of the tank at work. I'm sure you'll be able to get it all straightened out before long.

Eight Electric Blues may be a bit much for a 50L or 13g tank. I have to say being overstocked may be leading to your other issues of high ammonia readings. More frequent water changes are in order. If there are fish still in the tank then daily water changes with Prime or Amquel + to detox the ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change. Keep up with the daily changes until your readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates.

Did you remove all of the fish? Keep in mind there has to be a food source of ammonia (which obviously you have at the moment) for the beneficial bacteria to continue to survive. If you're going to keep this tank up and running and without fish then continue to feed the tank daily either with fish food, pure ammonia, Tetra Safe Start (TSS)or if some fish are still in there then begin with the daily water changes and Prime or Amquel +.

Another option is to take some established media from the cycled tank and add it to the tank that isn't cycled. Substrate in a NEVER SEEN SOAP nylon hose, placed in the tank will help too. Don't remove so much media from the cycled tank that it causes a minI cycle. This may help to speed up the process.

The only time ammonia changes to ammonium is if the pH level is below 7.0

For these Cichlids (I haven't kept these myself so double check me on this) I think a pH level of 7.2 is a bit low. I believe (not certain) that these fish would prefer a higher level around 8.0. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Adding crushed coral to the tank will help to raise the pH level. Too, check the tap pH. It may be high enough that the crushed coral isn't necessary. Water changes may be all that is needed to raise the pH.

Sometimes, some fish can adapt to really bad water conditions over time. Then when they are introduced to fresh, pristine water conditions it can be a shock to them and may not survive. The fish should be acclimated (I prefer the drip method) into the new tank and new water conditions very slowly.

Best wishes and please keep us posted. I'm sure we would all love to see some photos if it's possible.:camera:

Keep us posted please.

Ken

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Superb advice above from Aquarist48. Yes the Electric Blues would prefer a PH up around 8.0. If you are in the Perth metro area I highly recommend a visit to Aquotix in Canningvale. The staff there are excellent & they will help you out with what you need at pretty good prices without selling you a bunch of stuff you don't need.

whiskey woman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
work tanks

Nutter said:
Superb advice above from Aquarist48. Yes the Electric Blues would prefer a PH up around 8.0. If you are in the Perth metro area I highly recommend a visit to Aquotix in Canningvale. The staff there are excellent & they will help you out with what you need at pretty good prices without selling you a bunch of stuff you don't need.
cheers nutter...

whiskey woman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aquarist48 said:
Good morning Whiskey Woman

I'm glad to hear that you're taking care of the tank at work. I'm sure you'll be able to get it all straightened out before long.

Eight Electric Blues may be a bit much for a 50L or 13g tank. I have to say being overstocked may be leading to your other issues of high ammonia readings. More frequent water changes are in order. If there are fish still in the tank then daily water changes with Prime or Amquel + to detox the ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change. Keep up with the daily changes until your readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates.

Did you remove all of the fish? Keep in mind there has to be a food source of ammonia (which obviously you have at the moment) for the beneficial bacteria to continue to survive. If you're going to keep this tank up and running and without fish then continue to feed the tank daily either with fish food, pure ammonia, Tetra Safe Start (TSS)or if some fish are still in there then begin with the daily water changes and Prime or Amquel +.

Another option is to take some established media from the cycled tank and add it to the tank that isn't cycled. Substrate in a NEVER SEEN SOAP nylon hose, placed in the tank will help too. Don't remove so much media from the cycled tank that it causes a minI cycle. This may help to speed up the process.

The only time ammonia changes to ammonium is if the pH level is below 7.0

For these Cichlids (I haven't kept these myself so double check me on this) I think a pH level of 7.2 is a bit low. I believe (not certain) that these fish would prefer a higher level around 8.0. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Adding crushed coral to the tank will help to raise the pH level. Too, check the tap pH. It may be high enough that the crushed coral isn't necessary. Water changes may be all that is needed to raise the pH.

Sometimes, some fish can adapt to really bad water conditions over time. Then when they are introduced to fresh, pristine water conditions it can be a shock to them and may not survive. The fish should be acclimated (I prefer the drip method) into the new tank and new water conditions very slowly.

Best wishes and please keep us posted. I'm sure we would all love to see some photos if it's possible.:camera:

Keep us posted please.

Ken
Gday Aquarist48,
Thanks so much for the info, I will just keep putting food in the empty tank, the cichlids are doing great in other, cycled, tank...tested water this morning on ferral tank and ph-6.4 to 6.6, nitrate-20, nitrite-5.0, ammonia-2.0 so I will continue water changes, would you suggest 50% instead of 25%...

p.s cichlids in cycled tank have the beauty of ph-7.2, nitrate-0, nitrite-0, ammonia -0....happy about that, the colours on them have become a lot brighter too...ok water changes, soldier on I'm going back to work have a good day/night and thanks again for your wisdom....cya :0)

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello WhiskeyWoman,

I think 50% water changes would be fine I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing well in their cycled tank!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads