Word to the wise/Rainbow Sharks

JackieN

Reaction score
HI all...I just left a post under species, rainbow sharks, but I'll write my thoughts here again. I purchased one when I set up my 36 gal. tank, I made many mistakes, including the nitrogen cycling. My rainbow did fine thru it all, till last week, he is terrorizing every fish in there and today is going back to the LFS I bought him in. I'm hoping to get an oto or cory instead. I was told he was a redtail shark, till I did some research and found he was a rainbow. He will grow too big for my tank, never mind giving all my fish heart attacks. He is a good eater, eats even the food that is floating to the bottom, he darts around and grabs it. I wish I could keep him but I can't.
Be careful if you buy them, they will more than likely terrorize the other fish.
Jackie

JMatt1983

Reaction score
my redtail likes to do that as well, but only my male redtail calico platy, he swim after him but never fast enough to catch him, even to the point of slowing down and letting the platy get a bit of lead, and then the shark will swim faster to catch up and then slow down again, and stop, and then they'll be swimmig side by side even eating off the same algae wafer, I guess its a game for them

OP
J

JackieN

Reaction score
JMatt1983 said:
my redtail likes to do that as well, but only my male redtail calico platy, he swim after him but never fast enough to catch him, even to the point of slowing down and letting the platy get a bit of lead, and then the shark will swim faster to catch up and then slow down again, and stop, and then they'll be swimmig side by side even eating off the same algae wafer, I guess its a game for them
Hi..well..I wish it was a game! He was chasing every fish that came within 1" of him. It was awful to watch because the fish just kept trying to swim away from him while he chased them down. It wasn't a game unfortunately.
He's back at the LFS now, I brought home two tiny albino cory's for the tank. My fish seem much happier now, they can swim around in peace.
Jackie ;D

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Excellent! I'm glad you decided on other more peaceful fish. If you only have 2 cory cats, you might want to think about getting at least 1 more. They like to be in groups.

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JackieN said:
HI all...I just left a post under species, rainbow sharks, but I'll write my thoughts here again.  I purchased one when I set up my 36 gal. tank, I made many mistakes, including the nitrogen cycling.  My rainbow did fine thru it all, till last week, he is terrorizing every fish in there and today is going back to the LFS I bought him in.  I'm hoping to get an oto or cory instead.  I was told he was a redtail shark, till I did some research and found he was a rainbow.  He will grow too big for my tank, never mind giving all my fish heart attacks. He is a good eater, eats even the food that is floating to the bottom, he darts around and grabs it.  I wish I could keep him but I can't.
Be careful if you buy them, they will more than likely terrorize the other fish.
                                                           Jackie
Red-Tailed Sharks get bigger than Rainbow Sharks. Rainbow Sharks are also less aggresive than Red-Tailed Sharks.

New Threads