Word of Caution!

UnknownUser

I have an aqueon compact preset heater. A few days ago during water change, I took it out to wipe off some gunk real quick. It felt really hot but had only been out for maybe 2 mins max. I put it back in and went about my day.

Well last night temps hit 32°. I decided to check the tanks to make sure no one got too cold, and sure enough the one with the heater I took out was at 70, not 78. I put a new heater in and it was back up in no time. The betta’s fine, but thank god I checked before a real winter Cold spell came! I assume when I took it out and it got really hot, it burnt itself out or something.

Tl;dr - don’t take heaters out without unplugging them!

Cherie G

that is good advice! Many especially those who are new to the hobby realize that they need to unplug the heater when it is not in the water. I have heard they can shatter as well if they are put back in the water while hot. Not sure if that is true but it doesn't hurt to be careful !

Betta'sAnonymous

Only heater i had fry is because my wife did something similar...lowered the water to move the tank and didn't unplug the heater. Smoke everywhere.

AggressiveAquatics

When I did a water change I was about to pass the heater when I realized “I think I saw somewhere I shouldn’t do that” and luckily I unplugged it

Betta'sAnonymous

AggressiveAquatics said:
When I did a water change I was about to pass the heater when I realized “I think I saw somewhere I shouldn’t do that” and luckily I unplugged it
Now that is called edumacation!

AggressiveAquatics

DoubleDutch

UnknownUser said:
I have an aqueon compact preset heater. A few days ago during water change, I took it out to wipe off some gunk real quick. It felt really hot but had only been out for maybe 2 mins max. I put it back in and went about my day.

Well last night temps hit 32°. I decided to check the tanks to make sure no one got too cold, and sure enough the one with the heater I took out was at 70, not 78. I put a new heater in and it was back up in no time. The betta’s fine, but thank god I checked before a real winter Cold spell came! I assume when I took it out and it got really hot, it burnt itself out or something.

Tl;dr - don’t take heaters out without unplugging them!
And.letting themcool down first (submerged)

Nickguy5467

yeah i was always worried something like this so i always hit the switch on my controller during a water change

Mii

Yes, unplug, and then leave it in the water a few minutes to cool down, before taking it out. I don't know if this is true, but when I first started fishkeeping, someone told me that if you take it out of the water while it's plugged in, it can explode. Not sure if this is true though, just don't take it out while it's plugged in.

JettsPapa

Nickguy5467 said:
yeah i was always worried something like this so i always hit the switch on my controller during a water change
I have all my heaters low enough in the tanks that I don't need to for normal water changes.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom