Word of Caution- Injured Pleco

PNWBettas

Just sharing my story and hoping this doesn’t happen to anyone else. So I use a pre-filter sponge on my tank. Gives more SA for BB since it’s pretty heavily stocked and prevents stuff from getting sucked into my filter since the intake had larger gaps. Well the pre-filter sponge somehow fell off (guessing during my last water change when I unplug the filter) and my young pleco decided to make it a hide for herself.

well unfortunately she got stuck and couldn’t get herself out. I assumed when I found her there she was able to get out but wouldn’t since she’s shy and I was holding it. Waited till morning after the tank lights were off overnight and she was still in there.

I then realized she was stuck and couldn’t get out, and part of her tail was rubbed off. I had to cut/rip open the sponge to get her out and she’s pretty messed up from it.

Her nose is all white, from rubbing against the sponge and her fins are damaged and in funky directions. I have her in quarantine now and I’m trying to treat the injuries.

be carful what you have in your pleco tanks, they like to hide and don’t always know what they can and cannot fit into.

AquaticQueen

Hope she gets better soon.

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Hope she gets better soon.
Thank you. Plecos are hardy but I am a bit worried.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Update?

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Pleco didn’t end up making it. Fungal infections set in real quick on those injured areas and it only took like a day and a half for her to pass.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Pleco didn’t end up making it. Fungal infections set in real quick on those injured areas and it only took like a day and a half for her to pass.
Oh, I am sorry. I have always admired plecos. Always wanted one.
*Virtual Hug*

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I’m so sorry but she had a great life with you

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
Lmg01
  • Keyfishies
  • Molly
Replies