woot woot! hows my stocking?

1. rae64 Well Known Member Member

ok :) my 29 gallon tank is almost finished fishless cycling, after just about a week. the tank consists of a heater (no idea what brand) a marineland 200 filter, soon to add a whisper 10, and an air stone. the substrate is pool filter sand (so pretty under the lights!) with 2 amazon sword plants that have been newly planted, and are doing well. one even has a small daughter plant growing on it! they do need some pruning though.... some munched leaves.

i will be picking up largeish river rocks for aquascaping and additional low light plants saturday... the plants might have to wait till i get the fish though.

ok.... the *revised* revised stocking. the only animal in my tank currently is a little teeny tiny baby apple snail (i think apple... it was out of the water. impossible to tell otherwise) i have named the little hitch-hiker Nala. She is adorable, and the only snail i have seen so far. :) here is what i plan...

2 male honey gouramis (special ordered, last to be added)
    2 female lyretail mollys
    3 female platys (going to be called blossom, bubbles, and buttercup.... power-puff girls... :) )
    5 cory cats: 2 bronze and 3 albino (one albino is left in my 10 g and doing well, he will be transfered along with all the other fish)
    1 male balloon molly: will he interbreed with the lyres?
    1 male guppy :)

am i over/understocked? i don't need the guppy, just wanted one because he reminds me of a friend.... he has a guppy face :p lol

btw i have all female livebearers for peacefulness and few fry... i know there will be fry at first but eventually i will not have any. hoping they will be eaten so i do not have to deal with them.... lol ik cruel i have nowhere for them to go though!

all suggestions welcome!

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

congrats on the cycle :)

I'd personally skip the guppy, get all male livebearers (and yes, there is a chance the mollies would try to breed, even with the platies I think). I'd get 6 total cories, too. :)

Then in a couple of months, if the tank is holding up well, you could consider at that point adding maybe 3 guppies if you still want them?

3. Jackie Frost Member Member

How'd you manage to finish cycling in only one week?!? You're my heroine!

4. kelsangdol Member Member

Yes...please do tell :;perfect

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

i just assumed she seeded with media from the established tank :;dk

6. rae64 Well Known Member Member

haha... i actually dont really know. i took the filter media (bio bag) out of my 10 gal and squeezed/shook it in the water on 2 different occasions. it clouded my tank a little, but it was already a little foggy. its not totally done yet, but it is nearing the end (i think) i actually added way too much ammonia in the beginning (impatience.. lol, something i struggle with) but a 30% water change took care of that problem... lol.

for the livebearers, will all males be aggressive? i really do not want to have to deal with an aggression problem. my LFS has no return policy i do believe to keep disease out.
    ill add a cory cat to my school. either another bronze or another albino, likley bronze. i love the bronze corys at my lfs, they are tiny! so cute!

Meenu: my tank wasn't fully established, the 10 was still cycling fish in (mistake!) but was nearing the end of the cycle (maybe.. not sure though) it worked!

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

good job, rae :)
    I have 3 male guppies and absolutely no aggression problems. Shawnie says that more than 3 male guppies will get aggressive, but other than that, no problem.

in my opnion, males are more colorful with some livebearer species. more importantly, though: females can come to your tank already pregnant, and can store sperm for months at a time. SO you could end up with unexpected fry.

my male guppies are not giving me any problems. my next addition is going to be 3 male black mollies.

8. rae64 Well Known Member Member

great to know! haha :) one more question... i think i might do all males. i think i will observe a little at the LFS to see how their little men behave.... haha. would upping my cory school to 7 make me overstocked? i want to get as many of them as possible to make them at home...i just dont know about this all male business.... haha its kinda weird since all i have ever kept is females. just a side note... does anyone have a dog that chases fish? i think there is somethin wrong with my dachshund. i just had to give him one of these :;smack haha i bopped his nose a little. (gently :p)

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Mixing the bronze and albino corys shouldn't be a problem as they are the same species. There is the slight chance that the albinos are peppered corys, but the majority of albino corys are bronzes. Personally, I wouldn't mix them for aesthetic reasons, but that's me. I'd bump the school up to 7 - they are much more interesting in larger groups.

Something no one's touched on - you're filter won't be able to get the job done, even with the addition of the whisper 10. The effective filtration capabilities are about half of what the manufacturer suggests. You ought to look into getting either an emperor280 or an AC70. Filtration is the most important aspect, and coming up short will lead to chronic problems - especially as you approach being fully stocked.

10. rae64 Well Known Member Member

good to know jaysee :) i think i want to get 2-3 bronze corys and 4-5 albinos... there is this little pair of baby bronzes at my lfs... adorable! can't resist... like 2 peas in a pod. i think im going to call my 7 corys the 7 dwarves : bashful happy sleepy grumpy doc dopey and sneezy :) the albino i have right now i have dubbed happy :) he is such a joyful little fish, even though he is lonely

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

lol... rae, watch out for jaysee. just yesterday he convinced me to take my bandit cories from 6 to 8.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

:) I'm feeling some pressure to come up with good stocking combos

Rae - please read the edit to my last post about your filter

13. rae64 Well Known Member Member

the filter... alright. i don't think i can replace of the one i have now and get any money out of it... could i add another just like it to the opposite side of my tank? wait... the one just like the one i have is like 40 dollars... i dont think i could get that right away. i currently have less that 40 dollars set aside for fish and plants and rocks.... i may be getting some cash at christmas but i do not really want to spend all of it on stuff for the new tank.

i need to check some prices :)

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I ave a Fluval 305 canister on my 30 gallon long, Rae. It's so quiet that I have to look for the water coming out of it creating bubbles to know it's working. It's also very effective.

I've read on this website that for a well-stocked tank, you should aim for 10x your gallons per hour (so 290 gph) if you get a HOB like the marineland. If youy get a canister, you want to aim for 5x, so 145 gph. The better your filtration, the better your tank will be able to handle a bit heavier stocking.

All that being said, I would think that with the marineland (200 gph) and the whisper 10 (90 gph), you have a total of 290 gph, 10x your tank size. If sounds perfect to me... what am I missing?

15. rae64 Well Known Member Member

thats what i thought too. also i was going to use the whisper 10 as a filter for a qt if any of my fish got sick. that way i could pack my 10 g in a closet an have a near instant cycle id i needed to qt

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, adding a second filter will work just as well, if not better. You could add a topfin40 or something. A fully/overstocked tank really requires a filtration system that can turn the water over 8-10x an hour, so your goal should be around 300 gph. The filter is an investment in the health of your fish, and it really pays big dividens to spend the extra money.

Oh shoot! For some reason I thought you had a topfin20 as your main filter.

Rae that's an excellent plan. Leaving the little filter on the big tank will provide an instant cycle for your QT.

17. rae64 Well Known Member Member

so the extra 90 gph of the whisper 10 isnt enough? could maybe get a little whisper EX20 to replace the whisper 10?

oh ok so do i have enough filtration?
    ok thanks! haha its ok :) filters with numbers are so easy to confuse :) i am so bad at remembering numbers... teheh

18. rae64 Well Known Member Member

thanks :) i was so excited when i found out i could put my old filter/tank to use :)

19. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Rae, the topfin20 is the filter in another stocking thread, which you had recently posted on!

I think the penguin200 will be fine for a while, but if you start experiencing problems, adding more filtration would be the first thing to do. Since you are going to be stocking the 29 from scratch, I would count on using that QT for the next couple months.

20. rae64 Well Known Member Member

wait so should i QT my fish right when i get them? i have never had any problems with sick fish from the lfs i go to. they are all very healthy. or are you saying that i might just have some sick fishies?