10 Gallon Tank Woot! Looks like my tank is cycled. What do you think?

disturbedme
Woot!

I am pretty sure my tank is cycled. It's been a week since I added in Tetra Safe Start.

The parameters are:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20

I think it's time for a water change, right, or should I wait a few more days? It looks cycled to me... does it to you? How big of a water change do I do? 10-15%?

Shawnie
id do a 20% water change and your good to go..just go slowly or you will have a minI cycle

Toxic
Looks like its cycled, do a 20% water change. I don't vacuum gravel everytime, I don't change the filter when doing water changes either.

Edit: you beat me Shawnie

disturbedme
Should I vacuum the gravel when I clean it tonight?

Shawnie - what do you mean 'go slow'?

Toxic
Don't do to much at first, is what she means

Shawnie
nevermind ...I just remembered this is the tank with your bettas right? you won't be adding any fish as they are already there and if you have waste on the bottom, do a small vac otherwise leave it until next week

disturbedme
Okay. And yep, I already have one of my bettas in there and a golden mystery snail. The other betta I took out and put into Q tank because he won't stop biting his tail... but I'm thinking of adding him back in (divided tank, of course). Do I usually do a 20% water change once a week or is it usually 10% water change once a week?

Shawnie
amounts and however often you do changes is totally up to the owners preference...some do weekly, some every week, some do 50%, some 20% ,so depending on what you feel is best

disturbedme
Another really stupid question: I have Prime as the conditioner and de-chlorinater that I have been using. It's okay to use always with water changes right, even when tank is already cycled?

I am pretty sure that's a duh - so it's a dumb question. LOL.

Shawnie
no question is dumb unless you don't ask it and yes that would be used each time you do a water change or even top off from evaporation

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom