Woot just bought a 2.5G tank for $14.50 and have a question

jack11
HI all

If I just use water from my 15G tank after my next water change, will the tank skip cycling? or am I best to just take some sponge media and have it cycle normally?

Jack. :;hurryb

Callum The Cat
well some gravel will help it contains more bacteria

Rock On Callum!

jack11
Ok, but could I just use the old water?

Jack

Callum The Cat
well then give it some time to cycle

Rock On Callum!

jack11
So if I put cycled water from my 15G it will not skip the cycling process?

Jack.

Callum The Cat
nah if u don't have the gravel

Rock On Callum!

jack11
Ok so some gravel and water from my 15G and it shouldnt need to cycle?

Jack.

Callum The Cat
well u should give it a day or to just to be safe and then test the water if it's of then leave it but if its right then go ahead

Rock On Callum!

capekate
HI Jack,
I would skip putting the old water into your new tank since you are just filling the 2.5 for a betta. Your old water will not help the cycle along at all. Its the filter media.. or some gravel from your old tank that will help it along. That is where your beneficial bacteria is growing, its not in the water. If you can clip a piece off your filter sponge and add that to the new filter that would help the cycle along more so than adding any water..
~ kate

jack11
Ok I will grab a couple of handfuls of gravel, and one of the three sponges from my 15G filter.

Jack.

capekate
kewl! with that, it shouldnt take you very long to cycle that tank. Maybe a week or so...
~ kate
Ohh and don't forget to 'feed' the tank in the process to make sure your beneficial bacteria will continue to grow til you get your fish in there.

lilsoccakid
my favorite way to do it is just syphon ur gravel and let the dirty water from the gravel go right into ur new tank. tons of bacteria from the gravel will go along with it

Allie
We use old media, old gravel (can't remember the last time we got new gravel) and water from our 120 gallon to cycle our tanks. Then let the tank go a few days like 2 before we add fish. We haven't lost a fish thru the cycling process, yet.
We use the water from the 120 gallon because it's be running for a year now with no problems...2 angelfish deaths that's it.

Barbrella
I've been told that trying to get a stable cycle with filter in a 2.5 gal is near impossible, and just to do 100% water changes every week.

Any comments on that?

capekate
The cycle process should be the same. The only difference with smaller tanks is that it gets dirtier easier and will change the water perimeters.IMO that's why it is a good idea to do frequent water changes on those small tanks.
~ kate

Kevin
my favorite way to do it is just syphon ur gravel and let the dirty water from the gravel go right into ur new tank. tons of bacteria from the gravel will go along with it
that should work, but I would use some media to help it go even faster

jack11
OK thanks for the help everyone.

Jack.

COBettaCouple
the 2 types of nitfrying bacteria that you want for getting a tank cycled love to be living on something, so the colonies of them will be on substrata, filter media and even some on decorations sometimes. While there is a little in the water, it's a virtually meaningless amount as the bacteria tend to head for the nearest available surface.

we have 3 2.5g tanks that have been stable and cycled since june with just 25% water changes weekly along with the weekly cleaning.

I've been told that trying to get a stable cycle with filter in a 2.5 gal is near impossible, and just to do 100% water changes every week.
Any comments on that?

jack11
I bought a blue/ purple male betta and will hopefully beable to get some pictures up soon.

Jack

COBettaCouple
great! we always love new pics in the betta forum!

I bought a blue/ purple male betta and will hopefully beable to get some pictures up soon.

Jack

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ColmC
Replies
Views
artemis9779
Replies
Views
Discus-Tang