Wooot!!!!!! We got guppy babies!

1. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, so 2 days ago, I had 2 pregnant guppies. During the night one of them had babies, however, stuck in my 55g with my other fish they were turned into protein snacks. The next day since my other female guppy was in the same stages of pregnancy, based on looks, I transferred her to a 2.5g holding tank and went to bed.

This morning, the idea of babies got me out of bed so I ran over to the tank, and saw the mommy trying to eat a baby. I had placed a cup near their beforehand and my net in-case she had babies, I could quickly transfer the mom, and I did letting her float in the cup for around 30 minutes before releasing here to the 55g.

I then ran over the babies and watched them. They are around 10-20 of them in it, and it's only 2.5g. 2 days ago, I was not ready for babies, and was hoping to have 2 weeks:) So, here are some of my questions.

How soon will I need a larger tank and what size?
    Around how many will survive?
    Do they need special vitamins?
    Do you guys know of like a 10 watt heater for the tank?
    Do I need a filter? I don't have one yet but do 20-30% water changes.
    What do I feed them? I have been feeding them crushed flakes but I'm sure there's others out there. Please simple homemade one's where things are at home if possible.

Anything else you think I should know. Thanks.

I found a heater
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=iKCFT8zXA4m6iwLXh8z1BA&ved=0CHgQ8wIwAA
    I may purchase it at a petsmart if I can get my parents to drive there, or order it online, not sure yet. Any more recommendations for heater would be nice.

Also, I think I have a whisper 10 filter, so I can get medium replacement bags and see if they fit. If you have other filters or detailed guides to build one would be nice.

2. markah1 Member Member

Nice. Yeah mine we're quite unexpected also. I thought she had another week or so when she dropped yesterday. My 10 gallon is heavily planted so about 20 survived overnight and today, I transferred them to another tank. My original plan was to let nature take its place but these guppies were all hiding in my mini forest of Anacharis and the adults had no clue lol

3. cameronpalte Member Member

Haha. Congratz. Best of luck to you with your babies. What food are you planning on feeding them?

4. cameronpalte Member Member

~20 fry

I have 20 fry in a 2.5g tank. I want to upgrade it. It is empty, and I am feeding them crushed flakes and may start with egg yolk tonight. There is no heater it is mid-60s and no filter but I do 30-70% daily changes. Is there anything else I need to do or know? Thanks ahead. Any information will help I wasn't fully prepared for this when it happened.

5. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

What are you referring to when you say it's empty?

You need a heater.

You need a filter.

You need a 10 gallon tank.

As soon as you purchase livebearers, you take on the responsibility for the fry they will have, and you take that responsibility on immediately, as that's usually when they start popping out fry.

6. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm also confused, do you mean empty of other fish, besides the fry?

As a side note, if/when you get a filter, make sure you take precautions such that the fry are not sucked up the intake tube. Either look into getting a sponge filter, or cover the intake with pantyhose (though even that way, I think the fry could still become trapped against the hose/intake).

7. cameronpalte Member Member

When I say it's empty I mean its just water, no filter, no gravel no decor, it's like a fancy guppy with water. Pet Co has nice 10g kits with filter, heater, scoop, all that and it's like $49 so I'll ask my parents to buy. I know, I wasn't prepared for the birth thought I'd have a week or 2 so now I have to rapid prepare. Thanks for the help

Empty nothing besides fry. When I get a filter, I'll take a sponge or 2 (regular sink sponges but new) and propably tape on on each end to allow water to come through but keep fry. I'll research this more when I get this filter.

8. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Assuming I'm understanding your description properly, a sponge would probably block the flow too much - it would definitely keep fry out, but I don't think enough water could go through.

If you are talking about a "sponge filter," that is when you hook up airline tubing and an air pump to the sponge, so that the air passes through. This obviously doesn't filter particulate, but it still does allow bacteria to grow in the sponge.

9. markah1 Member Member

I've been feeding them egg yolk and hikari first bites fry food. They love the hikari stuff though. It fits perfectly into their mouths and it doesn't cloud up my tank like the egg yolk does.

10. cameronpalte Member Member

Yeah, I have heard about hikari first bites. I am planning on (hopefully if begging my parents goes well) get a 10g guppy tank tonight or at least go to the pet store to get some supplies for them so I will get that. I have also heard egg yolk is very good so I will try feeding them some but in smaller amounts to cloud less. Thanks for all your help.

Also, I have no idea how much to feed them. I will try to feed the ~4 times a day except weekends when like 6 evenly spaced, but how much do you feed at once.

11. cameronpalte Member Member

No I was talking about the first one. And the filter for the 10g is 100 gallons per hour, so if it slows down to 10-20 gph I would be fine with that because thats still 1-2 tank fulls/hour. Also, I have seen other people use this and it works well.

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:animal0068:
    Threads have been merged.

Please stick to one thread for questions about your fry.

Congrats & good luck :)

13. cameronpalte Member Member

Thanks for wishing good luck, and merging.

14. markah1 Member Member

Very small amounts. I have lots of live plants and moss so whatever they don't eat just gets caught in the plants. My ghost shrimp sometimes eats the food but only a very small amount.

What I do is stick a finger in the bag so that some of the powder sticks to my finger, and then I swoosh it around in a cup of tank water and then I dump the contents of the cup into the tank. It helps it sink faster. I found that my fry don't usually come to the surface for food so it helps.

15. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok guys, I convinced my parents to take me to the pet store on the way home from school, and I got a 10g tank kit, and some hikari first bites for them. I got some other unrelated stuff mainly for my 55g. Thanks for all the help, and I will keep you updated!

16. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

If the 10g is for the fry be sure to cover the intake with a sponge or panty hose.

17. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I have fry that are 4 days old and they are in a breeder until I get a new heater for the 5 gallon( my other one died today ). I have a filter media bag on the filter and been feeding them frozen brine shrimp,livebreeder first bites, shrimp sticks, and fruit flies(I breed them for my Dragon). I have 17 only lost 2 ( one was born dead and the other one got eaten by mom right after birth)

18. cameronpalte Member Member

Yeah I'm working on something for that:). thanks for advice!

I only have first bites so I can look into some of the other foods. Thanks for the great advice, and congratz on your fry!

19. PrairieSunflower Initiate Member

Get an air pump and air stone while you wait. Can you increase the temperature of the room the tank is to heat it that way until you have the needed supplies?

20. cameronpalte Member Member

Got 10g tank and transfered them. Also transfered heater, water is at good temperature. Currently search for filter, does anyone know a tape that works under water or how should I secure things under water?