Wool in a Trickle system

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have just bought a aqua-one aquarium with a filter inside the hood, and when I replace the media, I would much prefer to use normal filter wool, How can I pack it in there so that it is effective or should I just buy a pad and cut that to size?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally, I just cut to size. I buy regular (cheap) filter wool for my canister and just cut it down.

From an ease of use perspective, it's much easier to remove one large piece than lots of little ones.

You also want to be careful how much you put in, or how tightly you pack.
Too much and you could potentially over-flow the system as it reduces the flow the thicker it gets. (just a thought)

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's what I was thinking about, maybe if I get something like this compared to something like this-

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have an AquaOne tank, and completely removed the recommended cartridges. They are an easy way for AquaOne to make money off unsuspecting customers...

My set up is as follows:
Bottom layer: bio noodles (I added extra to that supplied)
Middle layer: filter wool
Top layer: Coarse black sponge as supplied
Extra: Additional sponge inserted at the end of the filter system as a jumpstart for other tanks and to prevent any debris and stray filter wool from re-entering the tank.

The only thing I am considering doing is replacing some or all of the filter wool with a fine grade sponge (similar to that found in canister filters). The wool isn't too bad to maintain, as it generally sticks to the black sponge. When you pull up the sponge for general maintenance, the wool often comes with it!

I've had this set up for about 6 months, without any trouble.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think either will be fine ranga.

I went to the LFS and bought a big bag of filter wool. It's about $6 (AUD) and I've now got enough to see me through for ages. Probably at least the end of the year.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The only thing I am having trouble with is that I cannot pack filter wool into it, because its a trickle system. And I need idea of how to do it.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
HI ranga, the reason I posted the layers in my other post was to demonstrate how to do it.

If you put the wool UNDER the black pad, and above the noodles, you won't have any problems (*provided you don't put too much in!).

Hope this helps.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, but I am going to be using carbon, and I would like to know whether the black sponge is nessecery.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The wool I use comes in preformed pads, about 2cm thick, 30cm long by 10cm wide.

Assuming your system has a spray bar that sprays water onto the media, my suggestion would be (from top to bottom, as the water flows through):

Coarse filter sponge to trap larger particles
Filter Wool pad to trap smaller particles
Bio media

This will also allow you to easily maintain the seutp without having to disturb the bio media each time.

As an added measure, you could also put some wool at the 'exit' of the filter as a last little 'polish'

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ryanr said:
As an added measure, you could also put some wool at the 'exit' of the filter as a last little 'polish'
The only problem I can see with this is I find after time, the wool tends to break off little pieces, and if it's close to the exit of the filter system it can be expelled back into the tank for fish to nibble on!

ranga97 said:
Ok, but I am going to be using carbon, and I would like to know whether the black sponge is nessecery.
The black sponge is used to trap the visible particles of waste in the tank. It (or something very similar) is definitely needed to keep your tank clean. Anything finer than the black sponge provided will need more frequent cleaning to remove the debris and prevent blockages in your system.

To use carbon, the best method IMO is to place some rinsed carbon in a brand new pantyhose and place the little 'sock' towards the end of the filter (in the second chamber).

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My filter only has one chamber, and by default three levels of media; bionoodles, the silly black sponge and a carbon CARTRIDGE. I am NOT buying this stupid $10 cartridge if I can get my own supplies that will last me two years for the same price!

Anyway, I just went down to the shop and bought an aqua-one micropad and some activated carbon. Now I need to use these in my filter...

How can I layer these?

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can also cut the wool off the top of the carbon catridge, and just change over the carbon when needed. I bought a 1kg tub of carbon, and its gonna last me a loooooooong time this way Then I just put a cut piece of filter pad on and place on top. The premade carbon catridges are just too expensive. Oh, and I only run it in compartment too.

I might try your idea one day, bubbly. My filter pads get disgusting, even with weekly cleanly and replacements every few weeks. Then again, I do have destructive fish that love ripping plants apart for me

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am going to use a filter bag to save space, but I would like to know how I can set it up.
I want to know whether I can get rid of that black sponge pad???

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Trust me ranga, it is more beneficial to keep the black sponge in. It is the only source of mechanical filtration in your filter now.

You really don't need a lot of carbon - about half a handful should be fine for your size tank. How big is your filter bag? The pantyhose option is much cheaper and more pliable IMO...
The carbon can be placed anywhere within the chamber, but my preference is to place it closer to the outlet than the inlet to prevent buildup of gunk that hasn't passed through the other stages of filtration yet.
Keep in mind that the carbon will need to be replaced about every 3-4 weeks as well, so accessibility is an issue for consideration.

Suggested layering from bottom of filter to top:
1. Bio noodles
2. micropad and carbon (carbon down one end, flattened to look like a pancake shape)
3. Black coarse sponge
4. Spray bar

This will allow the black sponge to filter most of your gunky water, followed by the micropad (which will remove smaller particles, similar to filter floss), and biological filtration will occur when the water is forced down to the bottom of the filter chamber. As the water passes from the left hand side to the right hand side, it will naturally encounter the carbon. This will provide you with biological, chemical and mechanical filtration.

Hope this helps clear it up a bit.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is the 'black sponge pad'?
Is it meant to be a carbon pad?

Can you provide details of the filter (or the tank), so I can look up the setup and give you my suggestions.

Generally, you can remove everything from your filter and run whatever media you want, and in whatever order you choose, but there are more efficient ways of organising your media.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
THANKYOU!!!
+1 Rep 4 U!
Hopefully this will fit.

Just so you know it doesn't go from left to right, it goes from top to bottom.
I wish it went from left to right but it doesn't

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not sure what the black sponge is and that, in one of my other threads was trying to find out.
It takes up so much space and, with a finer pad infront of it, is a waste of space.
Order at the moment is from bottom to top.
-Bionoodles
-carbon
-fine filter pad
-black coarse filter pad

but I think this may save some space-
-no grid at bottom (gives me 7mm more space.)
-black coarse sponge
-bionoodles
-carbon
-fine pad

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ranga97 said:
but I think this may save some space-
-no grid at bottom (gives me 7mm more space.)
-black coarse sponge
-bionoodles
-carbon
-fine pad
I probably wouldn't remove the grid (grate), it's probably there to ensure there is always a clean path for the water to flow through. If you have all media on the bottom, there's a chance it could build up and block the water path, which could result in over-flow and flooding

Again, what's the model/brand of the filter? I'm happy to look at its design and give you thoughts.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Agree with Ryan... can you please provide pics of the filter? Alternately, can you provide the model number of your tank.

I have kept the grids in mine to allow unimpeded water flow. There is 0% bypass still, as the wonders of gravity force the water from the bottom of the filter tray at least halfway up again to exit through the overflow.

Model of the filter will help with any further advice.

EDIT: when I get home tonight I will take some pics of my AquaOne wet/dry filter for you so you can get a clearer idea of what I mean.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Its an aqua one aquarium, with the in built filter- ar510

There is an overflow thing already there, it is a wall that is lower than the rest and when water doesn't pass through the filter it just goes through that. It has a wide outlet, about 20cm, so I don't think all of that will get blocked,
And the grid is just about the same size holes as the black sponge, so I don't think it matters.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads