WOOHOO! Bettas are HERE! (with pics!)

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
I ordered some Bio-Spira which will hopefully be here by Friday which means that I'll be getting my bettas on Monday if all goes according to plan!! YAAAAAAY!!!

I SO can't wait!! Every time I go up into Petsmart. I always have to look at their bettas and every single time there is always one that gives me that "PLEASE take me home!" look and it's just broken my heart b/c I couldn't.
But now that that the tank is going to be cycled.... now the only heartbreak I'm gonna have to deal with is actually ONLY picking 2 out of the whole stock! 

I really wish I could've gotten this really pretty girl this past weekend. She had dark blue with a bit of red fins and a white body. She was SO pretty and gave me that pitiful look when I picked her cup up. I wanted her so badly, and bf would've gotten her for me, but we just didn't have anywhere to put her *sigh* I can only hope that a good person bought her.

Anywho! Enough depression! I'm gonna be getting my bettas! MUAHAHAHAHAHA  ;D ;D
I'm also getting my shipment of plants tomorrow! So when I get my bettas their side of the 10 gallon is going to be nice and planted for them to enjoy!
Gosh I'm SO excited!!

Silverliningq

Reaction score
Re: WOOHOO! Bettas here I come!

Yey!
Sounds like some very lucky bettas will be going to a great home real soon!

Silver
;D

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Aw, congratulations Sholia. Natalie

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score

picking the betta is the hardest part

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score

gammerus said:
picking the betta is the hardest part
Oh I know it's going to be! If I can be choosey in my selection (hopefully they'll have alot of healthy looking ones).... I'd love to get a female that looks like the one I saw.
AS for a male... I'm not sure if I want a VT or a CT. Those are the only ones I ever see stocked at Petsmart.... so yeah.. those are my only choices heh.
A blue or red one would be ok, but I'm hoping for a color that's a little more unique. ;D

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score

then don't limit yourself, look around a few stores and your guaranteed to find something unique

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score

8) Yes, as Gammerus said, look around and you are sure to find just the betta that you want. Good luck choosing, and have fun!

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Congrats! I know, picking them is hard... So, I just let all my Bettas pick me. Don't limit yourself to certain colors or finnage, look for health and personality first. Heck, none of my Bettas have been what would have been my first choice in color, but they're my best buddies so it doesn't matter Well, hope you find the perfect Bettas, and can't wait to see them ;D

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score

Gosh I'm just so excited and nervous.
I'm just hoping that my bio-spira will be coming still cold. It's been hot today.. well.. warm.. and I'm SO worried that it's going to be warm when I get it and not usuable.
And then I'm gonna be worrying about when I should add fish... if I should add ammonia during the couple of days I don't have fish in the tank... etc.

I doubt I'll be able to convince bf to go back out the the Petsmart across town (traffic last weekend was HORRIBLE).... so I'm gonna be stuck with what this Petsmart has to offer. If I see a betta I want tomorrow night (if we end up going to the petstore)... I might just get it then and there.

OOOOO I just can't wait! I'm So excited!!!!

schiz

Reaction score

Congratulations. My wife used to laugh at me fussing over my fish, I must admit sometimes I get a little eccentric about it(okay so maybe I visit Wal-Mart late at night and check on their fish, hey I saved three bettas that someone had placed into one cup night, so every little thing helps), but since we got her a betta, she is just at bad as me. Now I know we are both crazy.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score

Lol.. yeah... my bf, brother and his wife look at me like I'm crazy cause I get SO worked up over the fish we currently have. Specially if I think they're sick.. BOY do I just go crazy trying to see what I can do etc.
They just don't get it though.. they still see the fish as "Just fish" which is very unfortunate... *shrugs*

Anywho! I dunno if I'll be able to sleep tonight! Just waiting and hoping my shipment will come in early tomorrow

schiz

Reaction score

Yep unfortunately the "just fish" mentality is pretty common, but one day maybe it will change although maybe we should keep the secret of how good pets they make to a select few, kinda like an elite club.

Sad thing is, to illustrate, my wife just called and I have a molly sick and going down fast at home. So...I am rushing home from work to help the fish. Good thing I am actually finished or I would say my priorities are out of whack.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score

Awww.. I hope your molly is gonna be ok!

On a bit of a lighter note.. and something to post right before I go to sleep... here are some updated pics of the 10 gallon tank that the bettas will call home
Here is a full view of the tank. I tryed making it look all nice wiht my new plants, but it just wasn't working out with the dang cabomba. Freaking bunched plants are HARD to get to stay put! So I just sorta jabs them down and left them where they would stay lol.
Alot of the plants are still really young though.. like the marble queens, java fern and probably the dwarf sag too, but I'm hoping they'll all do really well and grow out If these marble queens are anything like the one I cut them from, they're gonna be very big very fast growers (which I'm seeing as they're getting new leaves every other day)
37.jpg

And here is a shot of the left side which will house the female. This side has the filter and I figured the female would be able to handle a current from the filter better than a male.
38.jpg

And this is the right side which will be home to a male I'm totally in love with the rock that's in there. Would've gotten a rock for the other side, but I liked the vase decor and well.. I'm sticking with it for now heh. The java fern is looking very scraggly (came that way), but I'm hoping it will get a bit better with some TLC
39.jpg

I've been looking at another forums dedicated to bettas.. and I think if I see any I like, I might get me a CT male. CT female would be really nice as well, but I don't think I've ever seen one. Well actually, I could've but just never noticed.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score

Well... so much for my Bio-Spira coming early :-\
Guess I was expecting too much. It is friday after all and I'm sure UPS is busier then.. but *SIGH* WOuld've been nice to get it by now (almost 5pm).......................

I'm just so worried that it's going to come and be warm and unuseable. :-[

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score

when did you order it? That shoul'd've been priority mail because it's a refrigerated item. They pack them really well too. It should still be cold. I live him Arizona and the times that I've ordered them it was in the 80's here the next day and they dropped it off at my door early in the morning. My husband didn't get home till 3:30 and when I got home at 4:30 it was still cold. They pack them in a little cooler and then wrap tem in 2 ice packs so I don't think you have anything to worry about. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

If you ordered from Drs. Foster and Smith then Fed Ex will be bringing it and they will get it there to you today. If you ordered somewhere else, I do not know. I have had it come in two days before and it was okay. They say if it is warm or at least not COLD it needs to go into the refrigerator to be recharged but is still okay. The cut off time is 1:00 pm CST for the shipment so if you ordered after that it will delay it a day.

I hope you get it tonight okay.

Your tank is absolutely lovely and I am sure that there are two little bettas out there who are going to be so fortunate to have you for their parent. I will be so happy for them, they will have a great home.

I had a baby crowntail female so I will try to send a picture of her. She was a darling little thing.

Rose

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score

Awww... she look(s?)(ed?) so gorgeous

Well the shipment finally came at about 5pm. The Bio-Spira was cool... I used some right away on my 10 gallon and put the rest in the fridge (gonna wait a day to put in the other tanks to get more of the meds out).

We also went to Petsmart tonight and I just couldn't help myself.. I saw the bettas and NEEDED THEM NOW lol.
I wanted every single one of the females.. alot of them just looked so depressed and not in good shape. They did have one that was the coloring type I wanted, but she just didn't look very healthy at all... like on the verge of dieing. I really don't want to have to go through that right now since I'm a new betta owner ya know?
So I got this other really pretty female. It's hard to tell what color she is.. she almost looks brown in the blue water they keep them in.
I also got a really pretty pastel blue crowntail male. It was between him and a VT red male with clear white on the edges of his tail. Both were VERY pretty, but the CT won me over b/c he's such a little firecracker.
Anywho! Tank isn't ready so they're gonna be going into some jars temporarily until the ammonia in the 10 gallon goes down alot.

I'll post pics as soon as they're out of their baggies and in their temp homes! YAY! I'm so excited!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

If you put Bio-spira in the tank it is ready now. How does it have ammonia in it with no fish having been in there? When I use Bio-spira there is about 3 minutes between shake the pouch and open and pour into the tank and then add the fish.

The cycle is complete when you add Bio-spira and while there will be a small ammonia spike it will not hurt your fish. In fact if you do not put fish into the tank and just put the Bio-spira in the bacteria will starve to death because it is the ammonia from the fish that keeps it alive. In a new tank there is nothing to feed it.

I hope this helps.

The little one I had (Misty) was very pretty. She was healthy too but when I tried to keep my 4 females in the same tank one of the others killed her.

Rose

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welp, they're in their temp homes right now. I feel a bit bad for having to put them in jars, but they're MUCH bigger than those aweful cups adn they are only temp! I'm really hoping to put them in tomorrow or Sunday. Until then though I'm gonna be keeping their water extra clean for them!

First up is the male... he's so cute! He's flaring away and just watching me.... The jar distorts their image a bit, but this was the best pic to show his colors. He's so pretty  :-*
clear.gif

& another pic to show his finnage.
clear.gif

& another to show his grumpy little face.
clear.gif

And here are 2 pics of my gal! I didn't realize how red she was until I got her out of that blue water. She's like a brown/red.. very pretty!
clear.gif

Her checkin me out...
clear.gif

Thought she might be the calm one, but she's starting to show the fight in her!

OO I'm gonna have to think of some names now & of course there will be better pics when they're in their permanent homes

Attachments

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score

chickadee said:
If you put Bio-spira in the tank it is ready now.  How does it have ammonia in it with no fish having been in there?  When I use Bio-spira there is about 3 minutes between shake the pouch and open and pour into the tank and then add the fish.

The cycle is complete when you add Bio-spira and while there will be a small ammonia spike it will not hurt your fish.  In fact if you do not put fish into the tank and just put the Bio-spira in the bacteria will starve to death because it is the ammonia from the fish that keeps it alive.  In a new tank there is nothing to feed it.

I hope this helps.

The little one I had (Misty) was very pretty.  She was healthy too but when I tried to keep my 4 females in the same tank one of the others killed her.

Rose
Ohh there is ammonia in the water b/c I was doing fishless cycling with pure ammonia... I got impatient and just ended up buying some **** when I had the money

Oh I remember reading about that

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom