Woodsonfan's 40 Gallon Oranda Tank - Page 2

woodsonfan

And then there were plants! My shipment from aquarium plants came in today, so I got my tank filled and got the plants in there. These are not their final resting places, as I'm still soaking my big piece of driftwood. I'll get my new Eheim 2217 tomorrow and get it installed and running. For now, I've got a 40 gallon sponge filter in the back left corner. Will start dosing ammonia tomorrow after I get my Eheim installed.

woodsonfan

Woo! Did you use pool filter sand as a substrate?

I sure did. Bought a 50lb. Bag from Ace. I'm happy with my rinse job. A little cloudy, but not too bad!

Kapitalfisht

Nice! That's what I use for my tanks. I can spot it from a mile away! Give it a day or two and that water will clear up.

woodsonfan

Update time! Got my new canister filter assembled and installed. Things seem to be operating properly. This new Eheim 2217 was spotless on the inside. Glad I returned the other one.

Got my driftwood in the tank and still playing with the placement of everything. I've attached a couple pictures. The used marineland LED isn't cutting it. I've got a Finnex Stingray on the way from Amazon. Will be here Tuesday. Thinking of running the two lights in parallel, since the marineland isn't too powerful. If that's overdoing it or ill advised, please let me know.

Lastly, dosed 4 ppm of pure ammonia last night. Didn't expect a big change, but tested just for the heck of it. Doesn't look like its moved at all. No surprise. Will test daily for now, just to get in good habits.

hacksgirls

Looks amazing!! Glad to hear that the filter was debris free!

woodsonfan

I've noticed this guy moving around the bottoms of my tank. Is it a shrimp? Anything I should be concerned about? Probably hitched a ride on my plants I assume. Tried to get a decent picture.

woodsonfan

lol thanks hacks! Hopefully he's harmless!

woodsonfan

Cycle is moving along just fine. Noticed about .5 ppm of nitrites showing up, ammonia is 4.0 ppm - which hasn't changed since I dosed up yesterday from 1.0 ppm.

I thought I was home free on receiving plants with no snails attached, however that doesn't appear to be my luck. Unfortunately, I didn't wash or dip them prior to adding them. I got them from aquarium plants and when they sent my acknowledgement, they said they were washing the plants and prepping to ship. I put too much faith in that, I guess. Either way, as of right this second, I can count about 20 without making an effort.

I'm not against them being there, just don't want to become over-run. At this stage of my tank, what's some advice? Leave them? Trap? Assassin Snail?

Thanks, as always!

hacksgirls

How's the tank going woodsonfan ?

woodsonfan

How's the tank going @ ?

Thanks for asking! Things are going well, in my opinion. I've managed to wipe out the small infestation of pond snails with the help of some assassin snails! I'll be rehoming them back to my friend who works at Pet Supplies Plus. However, part of me wants to put trumpet snails in my tank to help stir the sand and help with algae, in which I'd keep the assassin's to maintain a controllable population. Not sure that's a good game to play, but it's interesting to me!

My cycle is going well. Currently converting 4.0 ppm of ammonia within a 24 hour period. Still have nitrItes around 5 ppm and nitrAtes just started showing up. So, I feel like I'm getting close. Been dosing back up to 4 ppm ammonia each day until I see my nitrItes at zero.

About time to clean up the old tank I'm using for my QT!

hacksgirls

Sounds great! Glad to hear it's going good for ya!! I've been wanting some MTS but no one around here sells them that I know of. Plus I'm afraid my cichlids would kill them. I put a blue mystery snail in there a couple weeks ago and they used the poor thing as a soccer ball! It's now in my julidochromis tank and doing great. They don't bother him at all.

hacksgirls

woodsonfan any updates? Don't think I've forgotten about your build!!

woodsonfan

Thanks for checking in! Things are still going slow. Cycle is in the Nitrite stage, so shouldn't be too long now. In the meantime, I did get some MTS shipped to me from eBay. about 25 of them. I rehomed all but one assassin snail, and I can easily count 18 empty MTS shells already. So, he's gone through them faster than I thought. Was hoping they'd multiply at a slow level. I know they stay in the sand when the lights are on, so maybe there are already more, I just don't see them.

Other than that, just sitting on my hands, waiting for the cycle to complete!

hacksgirls

Well, I hope it gets there soon! I'm getting impatient!!! Lol! I don't know if you've been following the shell thread but I have 9 babies!! They're super tiny but they are growing and thriving so far as I can tell.

woodsonfan

but I have 9 babies!! They're super tiny but they are growing and thriving so far as I can tell.

9 babies??!! That sounds fun! I need to catch up on everything I've been following on here. Holidays make life hectic...in a good way! Kinda

hacksgirls

Lol! Happy Thanksgiving!

woodsonfan

Finally something worth updating! My cycle completed about 4 days ago. I put my sponge filter in my to be QT tank to ensure it was properly seeded. Both tanks were converting 4.0 ppm of pure ammonia within less than 24 hours. I felt it safe to add some fish.

I lost control at my LFS and snatched up 12 rummy nose tetra and 10 juliI corys. I couldn't resist. I have the 12 rummys in my 40 and the 10 Juliis in my 20H QT tank. I'll keep them there for about 3 weeks, if I can stand it.

I've had the fish for 2 days and everyone seems okay. Both tanks showing 0 ammonia/nitrites and main tank shows 5 trates. Qt tank not showing any nitrates. Thinking that might be due to the fact I just added the water about 3 days ago?

Happy to have some fish, and glad I was able to remain semi-patient! Rummys are too fast to photograph, but here are some pictures of the current setup. Water is a bit stained from the driftwood, but I don't mind it much.

Varalidaine

I love the stained water! And your Julii's seem happy with their pipes

hacksgirls

HEY!! Where in the heck did you get rnt?! Love the tank btw!!

woodsonfan

HEY!! Where in the heck did you get rnt?! Love the tank btw!!

All about Pets will order them on a Tuesday, before 2PM, and you pick them up the next day in the afternoon!

woodsonfan

HI guys! Haven't done an update in a while. Other than trying to figure out a pH issue, all has been going well with my tank. My current stock is 11 Rummy nose tetra, and 8 JuliI corys. I was curious if I could add BoesemanI Rainbow, and if so, what would be a good number.

Just a refresher: tank is a 40Breeder, 78*f, planted, some shrimp and snails.

woodsonfan

I ended up adding 2 BoesemanI Rainbows, one male and one female. Planning on getting one more female when my LFS gets one in this weekend. I'm a bit disappointed in my tank though. It's quite a boring bunch in there. The juliI corys are my most active. The others (Rummy's and Rainbows) stay in the back corner, near my filter intake sponge, and just shoal. I need some activity in my tank, it's actually rather discouraging.

My parameters are in check. Using API liquid kit, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 10, pH 8.4 (stable). Planning water change on Friday. Tank is at 78*f. Not sure why they are so shy and reserved. What can I add that will add some noticeable activity to my tank? Was thinking Harlequin Rasbora, but wasn't sure if they get shy. Looking for fish that are actively moving. Thanks for any assistance!

psalm18.2

That's the best photo of cories I've seen. Looks like art.

Varalidaine

The rainbows are schooling fish, so they would need 6 or more ideally, which would make your tank too small for schooling 4 in fish. I've been reading that rainbows are pretty shy unless they have large groups, 6 being minimum and 8 or more being ideal. If possible, I would return the rainbows and maybe get something else to be your active "show piece" fish.

You might want to start a new thread in the stocking section to get more advice.

vikingkirken

I was going to suggest getting three MORE rainbows, for a total 3M/3F--they will definitely add plenty of activity to your tank. I have the dwarf neon ones and they are constantly on the move. They might be intimidating your tetras though...

A lot of times, shy fish just need some more cover and hiding places... maybe some caves, more driftwood, floating plants or tall stems?

vikingkirken

Incidentally, I only have four rainbows at the moment, still working on building up my stock. They are smaller than most of the other fish, but that doesn't slow them down in the least. The boys THINK they're the biggest fish in the tank...

woodsonfan

So here's the latest. The 40 gallon community fish have been rehomed to a lovely gentleman named, Wayne. They are in capable hands. I've decided to switch my tank up and do a goldfish tank.

I moved all filters to my 20 high that was previously used as my QT. I drained the water in my 40 and spent the weekend cleaning it up. My community tank had pool filter sand, but I wanted it to be black, so I cleaned out all the pool filter sand, gave the tank a good scrub, and rinsed it really well. Added black sand, water and now waiting for fish. I'll have two white Orandas that will live in the tank. They're being shipped to me at about 3". Very excited!

I've also decided to set my 20 high up as a community tank. I mainly did this for all the plants I had in my 40.

The 20 gallon has a Aquaclear 50 that is cycled and the 40 has an Eheim 2217, and 40 gallon sponge. Both tanks are being dosed with ammonia to keep the cycle. Getting the Oranda on Wednesday and will add neon tetra to the 20 tomorrow.

c8769de31a26e31ae9457ca4e5a5a8ae.jpg
886bdbfb204bfbacc7089b1c16a250c2.jpg

woodsonfan

Oranda's arrived a day early! Got them acclimated and they seem happy!
4bdd3fe4ae0135cc535997fafaa222c3.jpg
fe281fa224a49149848d52de0dbba7d3.jpg
bc87c5715d4ceb22ded6d5f08877a787.jpg
028833ac77082ec09d7f5e3b55f616f9.jpg

Varalidaine

Oh how exciting! I LOVE goldfish and would love to have some butterflies. They should be perfect in their new home and it will be so fun to watch them grow! Glad you decided to rehome the others and I hope you'll be so happy with the new goldfish and new setup with your 20!

woodsonfan

Added some potted plants to the tank.

Really enjoying the personalities of these guys.

4604054351c51993872e90fab455b8c4.jpg

Varalidaine

Everything looks great, especially the black sand and white fish! Precious

woodsonfan

Enjoying some blanched spinach!

Varalidaine

Look at the little cuties! Seriously making me goldfish envious!

woodsonfan

Look at the little cuties! Seriously making me goldfish envious!

Thanks for chiming in on my posts! These guys have exceeded my expectations. Very happy with them!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
woodsonfan
Replies
Views
HunterChampion
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Berryblue

Did You Know...

The aquarium hobby comes with it's own set of acronyms, terms and other lingo. Here is a list of those with explanations of what they mean:
Aquarium Abbreviations and Acronyms

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom