Wood Sticking Out Of Tank

blindfaith429
Came across a piece of wood that I'd love to stick in my tank. However, it is bigger than my tank is (in the height).

I've seen some tanks with wood coming out of the surface, which I think looks really cool.

My question is, how do I deal with a lid? Do people just not use a lid when this is done? Or use a cut up plastic lid to clear?

I've been using the clear glass versa-tops for my tanks, as I like the clean look of them. Obviously, this lid will not work with this type of set-up though.

Obviously, if I for-go a lid, I'd have to be careful with my stock to make sure I don't have any jumpers.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
DIYbetta
I think as long as you have no jumpers, you can just get rid of the lid. In my opinion I think they look really cool, but they tend to get a lot of nasty stuff on the surface. There’s a couple of things you can do about that though, like using air pumps and stones (which might look really cool to) or using a skimmer. Hope this helps.

saltwater60
Agree with the above post. You can go lidless if you have no jumpers. You can use some sort of screening too.
You will likely get little bugs and hunk around the top I do in my turtle tank. It doesn’t really bother me and the fish pick at it. Also where it meets the air and water may rot faster. You could always just cut it of course.

GlacialMold
+1 to the first post.

skar
I haven't used a lid for 6 years...

Sometimes a fish or shrimp may make an occasional escape attempt.
If your parameters are good they usually stay put.

gray_matter16
I don't use a top either and have driftwood sticking out the top. The only thing to consider, besides what's been touched on already, is evaporation. Your glass lid kept your water from evaporating for the most part. If you live in a really dry area your tank's water will evaporate faster without a lid. This means you may notice you'll need more frequent top offs.

smee82
My tanks topless I just have flyscreen draped over the light and clipped to the sides of the tank with butterfly clips.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
VSA
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views