Wood Sealant?

1. Brokenshadows34 Member Member

Hey guys.

This might get moved, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

My little brother found this old tank-like thing I used for a project in third grade, and now he wants to make it into an aquarium for his room. The background paper is still on it.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404860711.488437.jpg

It has a wooden base with plexiglass sides. It's not watertight right now, as the water soaks through the wood.

Is there a wood sealant that we can use, to make it hold water? I'm just not sure how to make it watertight for him.

Thanks.

2. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I would suggest silicone as a sealant, as that is what aquariums are normally sealed with.
    I would also suggest that you use GE #1 silicone, as it is identical to the silicone offered by LFSès, but much less costly.
    I do hope that you receive this, as I am just now at my cottage, and this is the first internet connection that I have been able to make, much to my daughtersè dismay.--best--rick

3. Matt251 Member Member

I'm not completely sure but I don't think you can completely seal wood to hold a certain amount of water for along period of time. There are some poly sealants that I've heard people use on driftwood for aquariums, but then again I'm not sure how safe those are.

I'd suggest getting a piece of plexiglass to put on the bottom and seal all the edges with silicone

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member