Wood Ph Help Please Help

1. BettaBabies

BettaBabies New Member Member

I bought a piece of wood for my aquarium at my LFS today and I want to know if anyone has heard of it. It's called Caspian wood. It's supposed to lower the ph im my tank. Which I need very much because over time my ten gallon tank has gone from 7.6 to 8.0.

I haven't found any info on Google about Casoian wood before anyone asks. So any advice on if this wood lowers ph well would be greatly appreciates. Thank you.

2. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

I don't know about the wood, but what livestock is going in the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    BettaBabies

I have 7 neon tetras, 1 betta, and it will have 2 nerite snails once they finish quarantine.

4. Mazeus

They will all likely adapt to the higher PH as long as you keep it stable. What temp are you keeping the tank at? Neon's normally prefer cooler water than bettas.

5. OP
    OP
    BettaBabies

Their ph is stable at 8.0 almost all the time, i dont add anything to change it but thats why i wanted the driftwood.
    This is also what happened when i asked for help on another thread. I got asked about the temp & at that time it was 78, ive started keeping the temp at 76 since then tho because i was told neons like 75. My betta acts the same as she did in 78, she swims just as fast.

6. Mazeus

Ok, driftwood may lower your PH a teeny tiny bit, but it's unlikely to dramatically drop the PH. Is the water out of your tap 7.6? Is there anything in your tank that might be raising the Ph (coral sand, limestone?)

7. OP
    OP
    BettaBabies

Yea unfortunately I have hard water usually around 7.5 or 7.6. So that's why I thought wood would be a good idea to lower it maybe like .2 or .4. I may try malaysian driftwood, i just dont know where to buy any, i just bought the only wood i found in the store that would lower the ph.

8. Mazeus

I would try to figure out why your aquarium Ph is quite a bit higher than your tap water. If you find out why, you may be able to change it. What is in your aquarium that might raise the PH?

9. OP
    OP
    BettaBabies

Maybe the decorations but they are fish safe. I do water changes twice a week. I do feed a lot, twice a day. Maybe that idk.

10. Mazeus

11. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

You have hard water? what is the KH and GH? Just a note pH level is not directly proportional to water hardness. They are two diffrent things. Hardness can impact pH but it is not pH. Tap water is pH range 6.5-8.5 btw. The driftwood will maybe give you a 1.0 drop depending on density and trace tannins.

@Mazeus is on the right track with your substrate or other additives. As far as temperature changes of 76 to 78 or 74 to 76 it is not going to matter a whole lot to the fish. Temperature WILL impact pH though but it has to be significant temperature change.

12. OP
    OP
    BettaBabies

I have gravel in half the tank. The other side is bare bottom. I have been letting algae grow on that bare bottom side for my snails to eat once they go in there after quarantine.

13. OP
    OP
    BettaBabies

I dont have a kh & gh kit so i dont know the exact levels.

And yea im glad lowering the temp was ok, i may even put it down to 75 for the neons if my betta does well.

14. Mazeus

Hmm, I don't know then. Gravel (I presume this is aquarium gravel- not stuff you have picked up near a lake) shouldn't impact thePH. Hope the wood works for you. As was already mentioned none of those fish should have too much of a problem in 8 as long as you keep the PH stable.

15. OP
    OP
    BettaBabies

Thank you so much for your advice anyway, and yes it's store bought gravel haha.

Ill be sure just to keep the ph stable. If the wood doesnt lower the ph then at least it looks pretty.