Wood particles

Lizzbug

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently put a small piece of cholla wood into my aquarium. I’ve been noticing excessive amounts of wood particles, and they’re really dirtying up my substrate. What should I do? Even when I vacuum the gravel, there’s still so much more!

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Did you boil/soak the wood previously before adding? Its normal for wood to soften up and debris fall off, especially Cholla wood.Just try to vacuum as much up as you can. You could also try taking it out, drying it, then sanding the rough edges or pieces that seem to be chipping off.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wood knawing Plecos often cause the accumulation of wood particle debris.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Add more wood and leaf litter and enjoy the natural look?
Remove all substrate so you can vacuum the bare bottom clean each week?
Get a plastic wood ornament and add the necessary wood as sawdust to the gell foods of those fish and shrimp that would otherwise be grazing on the wood.

Seriously adding a sprinkle of different coloured sand may help hide the difference in colour?

OP
Lizzbug

Lizzbug

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Flyfisha said:
Add more wood and leaf litter and enjoy the natural look?
Remove all substrate so you can vacuum the bare bottom clean each week?
Get a plastic wood ornament and add the necessary wood as sawdust to the gell foods of those fish and shrimp that would otherwise be grazing on the wood.

Seriously adding a sprinkle of different coloured sand may help hide the difference in colour?
Well, I could go for the leaf litter look. What kind of leaves? Almond leaves? I’m not too interested in the bare bottom look and I have gravel so I would have to completely replace the substrate to have sand.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There are dozens of dry autumn leaves that can be used. Apple and oak are two I have used but only because I can pick them up for free at the start of winter. I will add a link to a Scottish gentleman .

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A link to one of many people that have posted about using wild foods. Yes that’s right the dry leaves are a source of food for the creatures ( bugs) that fish find living in all aquariums anyway.
While this guy is a bit of a die hard shrimp nut everything that’s safe for a shrimp tank is safe for a fish tank ?

Celestialpearl

Reaction score
I can't speak as to how messy cholla wood is. I know manzanita wood is messy. No matter what it will eventually break down, but I found boiling it and scrubbing it with a stiff course brush helped remove most the loose bits. You could always take it out and brush it off, or put it in a bucket and do it.The brush was a detail brush. It came in a pack of three, two where wire, one plastic from the Dollar tree. I think it was with the automotive stuff...

New Threads