Wood in betta tank

betta06

wondering what wood is safe for my 5 gallon betta tanks.
could I get it outside? is wood that you get at beaches safe?
thanks!

Ghelfaire

Hardwood is safe if you get it from a pesticide free area. You have to make sure you remove the bark and that it's dead (dried)
I have maple from my backyard in my tanks

betta06

is cherry wood safe?
how do I know if its fully dry?

CrackerboxPalace

betta06 said:
thanks!
wood from outside should be fine, you just need to treat it properly. also, types like eucalyptus (the oil is bad for aquariums) or soft woods don’t work well in fish tanks though.

I like to wash my would by putting it in a rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide (but definitely not bleach) solution and scrubbing it, then immediately placing it in hot water. ideally distilled water but tap water works fine too i scrub it some more then get clean boilin water and leave the tannins to come out overnight. then i give it a rinse under the tap and it’s ready to go.

as ghelfaire said you should remove any bark, as well as any insects or non-wood things you find on/in it. goodluck

betta06

CrackerboxPalace said:
wood from outside should be fine, you just need to treat it properly. also, types like eucalyptus (the oil is bad for aquariums) or soft woods don’t work well in fish tanks though.

I like to wash my would by putting it in a rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide (but definitely not bleach) solution and scrubbing it, then immediately placing it in hot water. ideally distilled water but tap water works fine too i scrub it some more then get clean boilin water and leave the tannins to come out overnight. then i give it a rinse under the tap and it’s ready to go.

as ghelfaire said you should remove any bark, as well as any insects or non-wood things you find on/in it. goodluck
thanks so much!

CrackerboxPalace

betta06 said:
thanks so much!
all good let me know if there’s any other questions!! hope your tank turns out how you want

BettaCyrus

I ordered a piece of wood that was supposed to be for aquariums, and had a really great shape/was weathered, but it started breaking down when I put it in water to soak, so def do a soak trial (I dechlorinated the water I soaked it in just to be safe), as some wood breaks apart easily in water! I also had seen info that warned against using wood from ocean beaches in freshwater tanks... but I can't say for sure if that's true.

AggressiveAquatics

You can get your wood from outside just make sure it’s legal and it doesn’t have any pesticides. And try and identify what type of wood it is. Also bake it because you don’t want any little creatures living in or on it in your tank

taj13

betta06 said:
thanks!
Thanks for asking this question! I was thinking I'd have to spend a fortune buying the driftwood at the pet store!

betta06

taj13 said:
Thanks for asking this question! I was thinking I'd have to spend a fortune buying the driftwood at the pet store!
I know I am really happy too its like $20 for a small piece of spider wood at my local pet store so free wood will be great!

Latest threads

Top Bottom