Wood From Aquarium In Store

1. blckcandyapple Initiate Member

I bought a piece of wood that was in a tank at the pet store, I was wondering can I just pop that in my tank, will it start the cycle?

2. ChiefBrody Member Member

Go for it but remember to feed it

3. goplecos Well Known Member Member

No it will not, it has no bacteria. You should also boil the wood first, so you don't have too many tannins.

4. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

How were the fish in that pet store? It won't cycle a tank since the bacteria is mostly in the filter. I would worry about fish diseases from the store getting into your tank though, I agree with the boiling the wood for that. Tannis isn't actually that big of deal for me.

5. goplecos Well Known Member Member

tannins in limited amounts are great but all the wood I buy has never been in a tank so it's full of them.

6. blckcandyapple Initiate Member

oh man, the fish were healthy, do I have to worry about tannis if it was already in the tank with the fish at the store ? I think I'll take it back if there's no good bacteria and a risk for fish disease.

7. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would keep it and boil it and it won't matter if it was in the tank or not.

8. blckcandyapple Initiate Member

there was some type of crab in it...what do i do with it, take it back? the crab that is.

feed the wood/bacteria? with what...

9. ChiefBrody Member Member

You can use straight ammonia if you got some under the sink or just throw a piece of seafood in there like a raw shrimp. You can also use fish flakes. Really up to you. You need ammonia pretty much so some waste needs to rot in there. I'd go with a raw shrimp personally. You could put a small specimen in there as long as it's bio-load doesn't exceed the bacteria growing on the log. Could be risky tho who knows if the bacteria is in shock or what so your call

As in a live specimen I meant. So like a snail or two, maybe a couple scuds or daphnia - not all at once just little by little. Starting at the bottom of the food chain and work your way up. I think the rotten seafood idea is quicker to get it to where it'll handle actual fish tho

Definitely keep the crab! That's perfect to start your cycle. Tannins are healthy for fish and most if not all were left at the store if the wood has stuff growing on it already. I keep my tank -yellow on purpose most Amazon fish love it but I add peat and catapa leaves, driftwood alone is really not nearly enough to impact water parameters. Where you have a small crab already defecating in the tank to feed the bacteria to turn you nitrate cycle your on your way to a cycled aquarium. Seriously. If anything add plants and you'll be buying fish next week 1e77d7d194bc9db3d43cb548f3d9f4d3.jpg

Here's a close-up of my panda cichlid. Seriously they love that tank tannins and all 4e105aecbbab803f798149328d104b99.jpg

10. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I personally would bring the crab back to the store. I wouldn't use it to cycle the tank.