Won't heat up enough...

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 29 gallon set up and I am currently cycling using the shrimp in a nylon method, and I am trying to crank up the heat to get the bacteria going faster.

I have an Aqueon 100W submersible heater and it is turned up almost as high as it will go (within 2 clicks) and the water temp will not seem to go above 80. Even with the lights being on all day, no luck.

Should I get an additional heater? Or just tough it out? I'm mostly being impatient, and I read that having a higher temp will cause the bacteria to grow faster, which will result in a faster cycle. Obviously, 80* is ideal for fish, maybe a degree or two lower.

Any advice? Thanks!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You might want to look into a new heater. If it is not accurate, I wouln't use it.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Would having a powerful filter have anything to do with it? The Aqueon Powerfilter 30 that came with it seems to create a waterfall in the tank, even though the water is within 1cm of the top. The heater is on the opposite side from the filter. Not sure if this would make a difference

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought it was a 20 (other thread). In any case, that won't make a difference.

If the heater has to work overtime to maintain your desired temp, then IMO there is a higher likelihood of the heater malfunctioning.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Should I talk to the LFS where I got it? I've only had it for about 3 days so that was why I was thinking it shouldn't be malfunctioning. Possibly an exchange is needed?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would return it. Whst brand is it?

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TBH, I would see about exchanging the heater and also buying a new one. The components that come with starter kits leave much to be desired, IME. You should certainly have a heater that's in perfect working order (with the kit), but buying a better heater is a good investment. It's always good to have backup equipment.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OK thanks for the help Jaysee!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads