Wondering What(if Anything) I Can Add To This 55gallon. 55 Gallon Tank

1. GabeC

GabeC Valued Member Member

I have an established 55 gal tank that’s been up for almost 2 years. The parameters are 0/0/15. I currently have it stocked with 1female angel, 1 male pearl gourami(had two females, but they’ve both died in the last 3 months), 12 rummy nose tetras, and 12 harlequin rasboras. Since the two pearl gourami females have “gone pro”, I was wondering if I could/should add something to the tank to replace them. Could I add two new female pearl gouramis? Or perhaps something else(Bolivian rams?)? Or should I just leave things as they are? Thanks for your help.
    -g

2. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi, can't see why you shouldn't replace the pearls with the same, have you got any idea what the last two died from? If you're thinking of adding anything different just do a bit of online research & make sure they're temperature &Ph compatible & non aggressive then you should be OK.

3. OP
    OP
    GabeC

First female had some sort of infection that killed her. Second one I’m not too sure what happened. Went out of town for a week(had someone stop by to feed them every couple of days), and came back to find her dead.
    Everyone else is healthy/no problems.
    I just wasn’t sure if adding two juvenile pearls would be ok, or if the existing male would bully them too much.

4. Seasoldier

I shouldn't think so, he'd probably think all his birthdays & christmases had come at once, if the females are sexually mature he'd probably pester them but I doubt he'd be aggressive towards them, how did he get on with the previous two before they died?

5. OP
    OP
    GabeC

The two females got along well. The male seemed to favor the longer lived female over the other, but no major aggression amongst any of them.

6. Seasoldier

Can't see why it should be any different with two new ones then, I suspect he would accept them.

7. OP
    OP
    GabeC

I was mostly worried about the new ones being a couple of years younger than the male. The angel in with him is a female, so she rarely gets aggressive except for when she lays eggs. It’s pretty heavily planted, and there’s some caves for hiding.

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You can definitely add more pearl gouramis, imo. You also have room for bottom dwellers, like albino/bronze or sterbai cories. How about those, a clown pleco, and a peaceful cichlid for the bottom? A rainbow cichlid would work, if you can find those.