Wondering If Stability Is Our Problem

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
20 gallon tank that we upgraded from a 10 gallon.
2 filters running on it.
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite .25
Nitrate 5

Ammonia has been 1.0 for like 2 weeks
Been using stability for over 7 days and ammonia hasn’t gone down but went up to 2 one day and now back down to 1 with a 50% water change.
Someone had suggested double dosing stability but doing that for a few days we now are seeing some nitrites

Should we just stop stability all together? Honestly don’t think it’s helping our cycle this time and wondering if that’s why ammonia won’t go down but we also have 1.0 ammonia in our tap water.

What would everyone recommend for a water change with 1.0 ammonia and .25 nitrites? 25%? Since our tap has 1.0 ammonia it isn’t going to go down doing a 50% without some bb

Also thinking cuz we are still overstocked Thats why ammonia won’t go down.
3 mollies
2 2 month old fry
1 snail
And now about 12 more fry.

Any ideas??

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would just try doing a fish in cycle if it's not working, but then you should probably do something about the ammonia in your tap. It will make things so much harder unless you double dose prime to detoxify ammonia.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hopefully someone that has used stability will be along soon to help you out.

I just wanted to point out that it looks like your cycle has restarted if you are now registering nitrites. They will probably go even higher before they drop back to zero. I just wanted to mention that so you won't be surprised when it happens.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
Hopefully someone that has used stability will be along soon to help you out.

I just wanted to point out that it looks like your cycle has restarted if you are now registering nitrites. They will probably go even higher before they drop back to zero. I just wanted to mention that so you won't be surprised when it happens.
Doesn’t nitrites show up before nitrates? We didn’t have nitrites until double dosing stability. Hmm ammonia hasn’t gone over 2 either

OneLittleBubble said:
I would just try doing a fish in cycle if it's not working, but then you should probably do something about the ammonia in your tap. It will make things so much harder unless you double dose prime to detoxify ammonia.
What would you do about the ammonia in the tap? We do double dose prime.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicole B said:
Doesn’t nitrites show up before nitrates? We didn’t have nitrites until double dosing stability. Hmm ammonia hasn’t gone over 2 either
Yes, in a normal cycle you are correct but I am still thinking that small amount of nitrates you are seeing is left over from your original cycle since they have not gone up.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
Yes, in a normal cycle you are correct but I am still thinking that small amount of nitrates you are seeing is left over from your original cycle since they have not gone up.
Well that’s good than losing the whole cycle right? I think just ammonia is our problem. Maybe nitrites now. But our 10 gallon if we’d do water changes and add stability we’d see nitrites and then it’d go back down.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicole B said:
Well that’s good than losing the whole cycle right? I think just ammonia is our problem.
I will continue to believe and will continue to say, yes, the chlorine killed your original cycle but that isn't the end of the world.

Now that you are starting to see nitrites you are getting back on track and will soon be back where you were. Once the nitrites rise and then fall you will start seeing more nitrates and the ammonia in your tap water will no longer be a problem because your cycle (bacteria) will process it.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
I will continue to believe and will continue to say, yes, the chlorine killed your original cycle but that isn't the end of the world.

Now that you are starting to see nitrites you are getting back on track and will soon be back where you were. Once the nitrites rise and then fall you will start seeing more nitrates and the ammonia in your tap water will no longer be a problem because your cycle (bacteria) will process it.
So shouldn’t ammonia been up to 8 before we saw nitrites? Idk. Is still confusing to me. Our last tank we had high ammonia (8) and high nitrites never saw more than 5 nitrates. This tank hasn’t gone above 2 before seeing nitrites..

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicole B said:
So shouldn’t ammonia been up to 8 before we saw nitrites? Idk. Is still confusing to me. Our last tank we had high ammonia (8) and high nitrites never saw more than 5 nitrates. This tank hasn’t gone above 2 before seeing nitrites..
No, one should not see ammonia that high. I don't have any idea as to why yours went that high but it is not normal and should not happen.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
No, one should not see ammonia that high. I don't have any idea as to why yours went that high but it is not normal and should not happen.
Wow really? I guess that has been what I was expecting with this tank. I know they said when ammonia and nitrite equal 1 or above 1 to do a 50% water change and dose prime. Would we do that in our case with the tap? It’s hard knowing what to do with our tap water.

TexasGuppy said:
What's your pH? Temp? If pH isn't too low, I'd mix in 50% distilled water on your next WC to bring ammonia down some. Id also dump in lots of stability.. you can't overdose it. It just makes tank cloudy.
Ph 8.3
Temp 76
We have been using 2 capfuls of stability for about 2 days and now have nitrites. One cap for about 7 days.
How much would you recommend? I have some distilled water just have always been afraid to use it for some reason.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicole B said:
Wow really? I guess that has been what I was expecting with this tank. I know they said when ammonia and nitrite equal 1 or above 1 to do a 50% water change and dose prime. Would we do that in our case with the tap? It’s hard knowing what to do with our tap water.
Since you have that much ammonia in your tap water that formula can't apply. Since water changes aren't going to lower your ammonia to less than 1 the best you can do is try to keep it as low as possible and continue to add a full dose of prime daily until your cycle grows enough to process both the ammonia from the fish waste and the ammonia in your tap water.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
Since you have that much ammonia in your tap water that formula can't apply. Since water changes aren't going to lower your ammonia to less than 1 the best you can do is try to keep it as low as possible and continue to add a full dose of prime daily until your cycle grows enough to process both the ammonia from the fish waste and the ammonia in your tap water.
Yeah we have been just double dosing prime and stability when ammonia is 1. No water change but now there is some nitrites. Would doing a 25% get that down? Or should we just dose prime and leave it till it gets higher? I really have no idea. Nitrite is just as dangerous as ammonia isn’t it?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicole B said:
Yeah we have been just double dosing prime and stability when ammonia is 1. No water change but now there is some nitrites. Would doing a 25% get that down? Or should we just dose prime and leave it till it gets higher? I really have no idea.
I would wait an let the nitrites rise before doing a water change. You have to let it do its job. That job is eating the ammonia.

I know your biggest concern right now is the ammonia in your tap water but once this tank is fully cycle it really won't be a problem.

Simply put to cycle a tank only means growing bacteria necessary to keep a tank healthy.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
I would wait an let the nitrites rise before doing a water change. You have to let it do its job. That job is eating the ammonia.

I know your biggest concern right now is the ammonia in your tap water but once this tank is fully cycle it really won't be a problem.

Simply put to cycle a tank only means growing bacteria necessary to keep a tank healthy.
Ok! What would be too high for nitrite and ammonia together in our case? Leaving the gravel alone is a good idea also right while cycling? We cleaned too much on our 10 gallon and I think that’s why it stalled. We’ve only cleaned once in the 2 and a half weeks having this one up.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicole B said:
Ok! What would be too high for nitrite and ammonia together in our case? Leaving the gravel alone is a good idea also right while cycling? We cleaned too much on our 10 gallon and I think that’s why it stalled. We’ve only cleaned once in the 2 and a half weeks having this one up.
As long as you are not over feeding you should not be cleaning the gravel with each water change. You don't want to let a lot of uneaten food build up down there because it will allow the ammonia to rise up to dangerous levels.

Since you have ammonia in your tap water I would try to keep that one down as low as possible. If you see it creeping up to 2 do a water change to get it back down to 1. It is possible that your nitrites will go up off the chart. It may not since you are using stability but it is possible. If that happens I would do a 50% water change daily and of course a double dose of prime.

Nitrites can be strange creatures. They can be sky high one day and gone the next so continue the water changes and prime until that happens but only if they do in fact go up high enough to be off the chart.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a high pH, ammonia is very toxic at that level. Change out 5 gallons for distilled water now. Going forward use 50% distilled and 50% tap. The ammonia bacteria will grow better at lower ph than 8.2. Water temp is Ok. Higher temp also increases toxicity.
When you are cycled, you can go back to straight tap.
Also, make sure you have good oxygen exchange, rippled water surface or airstone.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have basically given all the information I can at this point so I am going to now back out of the conversation to keep from confusing you even more. Hopefully I have given you enough information to get this tank back on track.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasGuppy said:
That's a high pH, ammonia is very toxic at that level. Change out 5 gallons for distilled water now. Going forward use 50% distilled and 50% tap. The ammonia bacteria will grow better at lower ph than 8.2. Water temp is Ok. Higher temp also increases toxicity.
When you are cycled, you can go back to straight tap.
Also, make sure you have good oxygen exchange, rippled water surface or airstone.
Yeah our tap ph is like 8.4
We have a lot of chloramines in our tap so wouldn’t that make ammonia less toxic for the tap water? At least that is what I’ve heard anyway.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cloramines will break down into chlorine and ammonia. You could let it sit overnight and retest to see how much the test drops. Still, your pH is high, so you get the benefit of faster bacteria growth with a little lower pH along with reduced ammonia levels.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom