Wondering about guppy pregnancies

ForBettaorForWorse

So I bought a few guppies, and I noticed that they have the gravid spot. Does that mean that they are about to give birth? How long would it be until they dropped their fry?

BigManAquatics

I think guppies take around 4 weeks or so, so pretty much anytime between now and then you should be seeing guppy fry

Demeter

Are they the ones I sent you? If so they were both virgin females so don’t expect fry for another few weeks.

As for gravid spots, they mean nothing other than them being female. Even little 1 month old females have the darker gravid spot, this is how I separate the genders before they start breeding. I notice in my heavily pregnant females the spot actually lightens in color as the belly swells up and stretches that area of pigmented skin. So once they are fat and the gravid spot is both larger and lighter they would be close.

ForBettaorForWorse

Yes, they are, good to know. That would mean they were breed when they were shipped, I assume?

Demeter

I did see the males trying to breed them while I was getting them boxed up but in the dark they wouldn’t have been breeding. You should assume they have been bred by now though, especially if you have them all together.

emeraldking

As for gravid spots, they mean nothing other than them being female.
That's completely true...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • SamanthaJane
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
SamanthaJane
Replies
Views
Gone
  • Question