Wondering about extra biomedia/sponge block in filter...

Ssnaaiil
I was wondering if adding extra biomedia (the rings) or extra sponge block to my tank filter would help it? My tank is already cycled with ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 10-20ppm. Just wondering if adding something extra in my filter basket would help keep nitrates lower once colonizing more beneficial bacteria??? I have an aquaclear 110 filter

VeiltailKing
If you’ve got room you might as well use it!! There really isn’t any downsides besides overfilling it and the filter overflowing as a result.

MrBryan723
No, not for that purpose. There is usually no harm in doing so and most would say to do it. Extra media for bacteria to grow is always a good thing, but completing the nitrogen cycle in freshwater is a bit more of an undertaking. Usually nitrates are the end of the cycle and we do water changes to keep them from building up. Islandvic has a good write up on the undertaking of doing so if it's something youre interested in. Just look through their posts until you find it.

Islandvic
If tank is already fully cycled and you are running an AC110, more than likely you can just leave it alone. However you have it set up seems to be working.

At most, i would suggest to consider buying a second foam sponge block and stack it on top of the first one.

If that takes up top much space in height along with the other media, then use a serrated steak knife to cut the foam block in half lengthwise.

That will give you extra mechanical filtration and more surface area for beneficial bactwria to colonize on.

You can then rotate the 2 foam blocks when you want to clean them, so both aren't cleaned at same time.

This will ensure your cycle isn't accidentally interrupted.

StarGirl
Only water changes lower Nitrates not the bacteria. The bacteria eats the ammonia and then another bacteria eats the Nitrites.

MrBryan723
Only water changes lower Nitrates not the bacteria. The bacteria eats the ammonia and then another bacteria eats the Nitrites.
But with enough planning and patience yet another bacteria will eventually eat the nitrates and turn them into nitrogen.

Ssnaaiil
Also I’m thinking about using a poly pad to help keep my water clearer, where would the best place to put the poly pad be? Or is there a reason I shouldn’t use a poly pad?

VeiltailKing
Also I’m thinking about using a poly pad to help keep my water clearer, where would the best place to put the poly pad be? Or is there a reason I shouldn’t use a poly pad?
Get 100% polyester quilt batting. You get much more of it for much cheaper than filter floss (I’m assuming that’s what you mean, right?) I use quilt batting in all of my filters. One package has lasted me over a year and there’s still a bunch of it left.

Ssnaaiil
Get 100% polyester quilt batting. You get much more of it for much cheaper than filter floss (I’m assuming that’s what you mean, right?) I use quilt batting in all of my filters. One package has lasted me over a year and there’s still a bunch of it left.

This

Attachments

• C240923A-33D7-4787-9B26-31201D4B3EE2.png
    C240923A-33D7-4787-9B26-31201D4B3EE2.png
    266.2 KB · Views: 40
VeiltailKing
Yep. Just buy some 100% polyester quilt batting and replace it in the filter every week or so. Much cheaper in the long run!

StarGirl
You can get a big bag in the sewing section at Walmart for like 5$

Basil
I’ve used that and wasn’t impressed. The quilt batting is much more effective at catching debris and keeping the water clear.

Ssnaaiil
Like this?

Attachments

• A84C9900-4D50-43F0-9110-692CE73CCAD9.png
    A84C9900-4D50-43F0-9110-692CE73CCAD9.png
    236.3 KB · Views: 35
Ssnaaiil
I ordered this one...hopefully it works good.

Attachments

• 92A24613-F799-4E41-B0A5-8346198AEACC.png
    92A24613-F799-4E41-B0A5-8346198AEACC.png
    287.3 KB · Views: 36
VeiltailKing
I ordered this one...hopefully it works good.
That’s exactly what I use!

Ssnaaiil
That’s exactly what I use!

do I put this between my sponge block and biomedia(rings)

VeiltailKing
You can pretty much put it anywhere in your filter. I keep mine right by the outflow (my filter has a spot to hold it)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jmark419
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
Replies
Views
Tanks and Plants
Replies
Views