Wonder Shell

Keith83

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Has anyone here had experience with Wonder Shells? It's supposed to slowly release minerals and electrolytes in the water that fish need. It particularly is supposed to help prevent Columnaris.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm using the one from Weco. I haven't tried the new one . They claim it is better.

Our water is too soft and this helps buffer the chemistry.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have used "Wonder Shells" for my "Mystery Snails" with good results and recommend. Adds primarily calcium and a smorgasbord of other minerals. But I decided to switch to regular "Cuttlebone" which is made of aragonite, 85% calcium carbonate plus different trace elements - calcium phosphate, sodium, magnesium, phosphorus and other mineral salts. Just make sure it is "Unflavored" I have even made snail jello from a recipe I got online. Good Luck with whatever you decide to use. Your snails will be happy and healthy.See spec sheet for Wonder Shell.
sealabanalysis.jpg

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jmaldo said:
I have used "Wonder Shells" for my "Mystery Snails" with good results and recommend. Adds primarily calcium and a smorgasbord of other minerals. But I decided to switch to regular "Cuttlebone". See spec sheet. View attachment 441890
Wait . . . is that the analysis of a cuttlebone, or a Wondershell?

Keith83 said:
. . . It particularly is supposed to help prevent Columnaris.
They do sell a medicated Wonder shell, But I hadn't heard that was for columnaris.

What I have read is that fish are much more susceptible to columnaris if their water chemistry lacks minerals.

The Wonder shells do provide minerals, but except for the medicated ones I don't think they provide anything else.

Keith83

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ulu said:
They do sell a medicated Wonder shell at . But I hadn't heard that was for columnaris.

What I have read is that fish are much more susceptible to columnaris if their water chemistry lacks minerals.

The Wonder shells do provide minerals, but except for the medicated ones I don't think they provide anything else.
Right. I didn't mean to convey that it is a cure. There was a YouTube on columnaris treatment put out by a guy that was plugging wonder shell as a way to keep the water chemistry optimal by providing the minerals that without them can allow columnaris to take hold.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe he's absolutely right about that.

There is more than one company manufacturing things called Wonder Shell, and they are different.

I named one of them above but it was deleted by the moderator so I suppose that is not allowed.

The original Wonder Shell has been around since I was a kid. Over 50 years I am sure.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom