Woke Up To Several Dead Fish

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I woke up this morning to several dead fish.

Everything had been fine until Sunday my dad insisted on getting hatchet fish. I did not agree since i am setting up a 90 gallon to get more fish & accommodate the ones I have now. The tank I have now would be a quarantine tank for my future fish.
To make the story short, we got them Sunday, ( did not quarantine 1st red flag) & they got stuck to the filter the next day and died. That was it. We saved 1 and took him to the pet store.

This morning, I woke up to 3 neon tetras and 1 harlequin rasbora dead. I dont know how this happened. I want to say the water was too hot for them (i didn't know the neons temp was cooler than the rest when I got them). It was at almost 78 this morning, but rasboras are fine with that water temp so I dont know what explanation could be for the 1 that died. When i set my tank up i made sure their water was at 75 exactly, but with the heat coming in, it has been hard to keep their water cool.

I will attach my parameters.
My nitrate was a little hard to read but I now see it is a 5 ppm.

If someone can please explain what happened cause I feel like giving up my hobby which is sad cause I've only been in it for 5 months and I really enjoy it, but I dont what caused this to happen.

I have a school of glass catfish in the tank & the rest of the rasboras & 3 neon tetras left. I worry that they might be gone too.

They get fed flakes & frozen brine shrimp every few days & water changes weekly.

Attachments

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fahn said:
Sounds like something nasty introduced by the hatchets.
Do you think the water being warm maybe had something to do with it?
What should i do in this case? :grumpy:

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Esli said:
Do you think the water being warm maybe had something to do with it?
What should i do in this case? :grumpy:
Unless it was a sudden temp swing it probably wasn't your temp that killed them.

Shannon Griscom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Fahn. I keep my neons and guppies @ 78f and they're just fine. It's worrisome how fast this happened though. Hopefully the danger is passed and it didn't taint the whole tank. Watch closely and don't give up the hobby.

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Shannon Griscom said:
I agree with Fahn. I keep my neons and guppies @ 78f and they're just fine. It's worrisome how fast this happened though. Hopefully the danger is passed and it didn't taint the whole tank. Watch closely and don't give up the hobby.
Thank you guys for that.
I will be doing a water change today, I dont know if i should probably perform a big one like a flush, it is really sad.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom