with maracyn Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Je55*e, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Je55*e

Je55*e Well Known Member Member

The other day I noticed my Otocinclus had a small whitish, puffy spot on his side. I think it is a fungus (columnaris).

Pictures (sorry for the quality--I only have my cell phone to take pictures):

573.jpg

575.jpg

Earlier tonight, I set up a 3g with heater, filter, air stone and no gravel to put him in tomorrow (waiting for heater to get the temp. up). I put a used cartridge from my 6g in the filter and filled it with 2g of water from the Otto's aquarium and 1g of new water treated with conditioner and Garlic Guard.

I also bought Maracyn by Mardel to treat him with. I've never used this before; would it be ok to put a whole packet into the 3g? The instructions don't say.

I'd really appreciate your help!!!

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry your oto is ill.
    If I recall, doesn't 1 packet treat 10g?
    If that's correct, IMO, that would be too much medication to add to a 3g.

3. OP
    OP
    Je55*e

Thanks for replying, Lucy. I didn't see that on the box, but I trust you! :p So I'll add a little less than 1/3. I should just dump that in the water after he gets comfortable, then?

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I just pulled the box out. One packet does treat 10g's.
    I stink at math, so I can't advise how to divide a packet up for a 3g.

5. OP
    OP
    Je55*e

When I worry I tend not to see things in front of my face. >< I'm not so good at math either, but I'll use less than I think I have to, to be safe.

6. Kivstev

Kivstev Valued Member Member

Maracyn is usually ineffective against Columnaris if that is what the fish has (the package says different but I disagree since Columnaris is a gram negative bacteria and Maracyn treats gram positve.)

Maracyn 2 (minocycline), Kanamycin, or Furan 2 are usually more effective antibiotics for this, as are salt baths.

If the fish doesn't improve within four of five days I'd switch meds or tactics.

Can you get a better picture?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2009
  7. OP
    OP
    Je55*e

My phone is not the best at taking clear pictures. =/ The spot is white, puffy and 'fuzzy-looking'. What does that sound like to you?

Thanks for replying!

8. Kivstev

Here's my rainbow with Columnaris. Not the best pic either since I didn't have my current dig cam at the time.

Rainbow 03.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    Je55*e

From what I can see, my guy's spot looks 'fuzzier'. I hope that makes sense. Would the Maracyn 2 help with most any fungus?

10. Kivstev

No Maracyn 2 is not a cure all. Sometimes Columnaris can appear fuzzier than what the picture shows, however.

90% of the time a 'fungus' on an aquarium fish is going to be Columnaris.

Feel like doing some reading? Good! ;) This will help you determine whether it's Columnaris or fungus and help you weigh your options. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  11. OP
    OP
    Je55*e

I'm pretty sure (from having read up on columnaris last night) that it is columnaris. So, I'm going to switch the Maracyn to Maracyn 2 today! Thank you for your help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice