With diagnosing a disease

Dr. Smith
I have a male(I think) blue gourami that I found dead in the tank today. Yesterday I noticed that just behind his head it looked like some of the scales were missing which had left a whitish scaleless patch and his fins looked spiny. When found dead, one of his eyes was a whitish color, while the other was the normal black.

Prior to this he was swimming around normally, so I think it has happened quickly. All the other fish look fine, so I hope it was isolated to him, but I'd like to know what killed him.

Jaysee
sounds like it got beat up pretty bad. If you could take a minute to fill out your aquarium info, we'd be able to help you better.

Dr. Smith
Thanks for your quick reply. He wasn't beaten up. I have a peaceful aquarium with tetras and now, only one gourami. He was the biggest fish in it. It definitely looks like disease

AlyeskaGirl
Sounds like a bacterial infection. Columnaris is a bacterial infection that can kill quickly. It can be white patches on any part of the fish. If his eye appeared to be cloudy then a bacterial infection. Fins appearing spiny by being eaten away, bacterial. How long have you had him?

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Jaysee
Without pics and specifics about the tank, its very difficult to determine

Dr. Smith
Thanks Christine. After checking that on Wikipedia, it does sound just like Columnaris. And it says fatality can occur after 48 hours which explains why it happened quickly.

Unfortunately, I don't have water testing kits. I live abroad in China and the aquarium shops are pretty basic (as is the advice). But perform regular maintenance and I always ensure the water quality is good.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
Replies
Views
Skye_marilyn
Replies
Views
FishyFishybaby
  • Question
Replies